How would you quilt it?

I spoke to the husband of a lady who is going to be asking me to quilt her quilt. He said it is all waves. That is the only clue he gave me, But he used his hands in a gesture to indicate that it was massive waves all over. So I started trying to think how I would quilt it. I'd love some thoughts of your's. What is your initial thought? I realize w/o a good indication of what it really looks like it is difficult but any thoughts you have on the subject would be helpful.

Hi Lottielongarm

What about Surfs Up by Dave Hudson!!!!

Seriously this is an open pattern (not too closely quilted) and might help to distribute the fullness better. The negative about a panto though is you are working from the back and can't see where all the puckers are.

If you decide to work from the front large meandering might work well since you can see the fullness and maybe manipulate excess so that tucks dont occur.

Good luck

Sue in Australia

I'm a little unclear. Are you saying the fabric has waves on it or that the top is wavy (i.e. doesn't lie flat)? If the former, then the fabric may be too busy to show much, so just meandering as Sue suggested may be best. If the latter . . . you have my sympathies!

Good luck!

Sara

I assume from the way the husband spoke that the pattern was very wavy. (I sure hope that is what he meant!) Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know what it looks like either but I'm sure when I talk to the lady she is going to ask for suggestions and I was at a complete loss. Any additional suggestions are muchly appreciated.

If you go to my webshots link in this email and look at the charity quilt "Clownin' Around" you'll see on the blue quilt back a wave pattern. This is from using the template with the Circle Lord. The wave pattern can be either vertical or horizontal depending on how you load the quilt.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for or not.

Vicki

Thank you so much for your ideas. "Short Pockets" I like your Circle Lord waves, and even though I don't (yet) have a circle Lord, I think I could free hand something very much like it. Very good idea.

Thank you all so much for your ideas. I'll let you know how it works out.:)

Archived