George is acting up!!

Neher-in-law5

I was quilting a sweatshirt jacket tonight with thread that I have used before and after an hour or two of working great, the thread started to break on top.

So does anyone have a clue what would cause it to start that far into a project. It was the same thread and bobbin on the same piece of fabric. Top thread was a YLI 40 weight, a prewound bobbin, sweatshirt and single layer of fabric. I had the stitch tension great when I started and had just oiled the machine.

When it first started I check the bobbin and began again with a new one, because on some previous projects the more empty bobbins seemed to give a touch of trouble. It didn't change the process.

Hmmmm......Try taking the top thread between two fists and yanking it. If it breaks fairly easily, the thread is too weak to stand the high-speed stitching. Even in the center of a cone, the thread can go bad.

Also check the thread path--even perhaps un-thread and start anew.

Sometimes the top thread will fly around and catch on something and snap. Static can cause this--slather on some Sewer's Aid if available.

I just finished a top tonight with King Tut where my last row was hellish--breakage every few stitches--arrrrggghhh! Guess what--the thread had managed to loop through where it goes into the eye--there was a loopy knot which really tightened down the tension. I adjusted the tension knob and fussed and fussed until I figured it out---Doh!

Good luck--can we see your pretty jacket when you finish, please?

• 4 months later...

Archived