finally used millie

I bought a bolt of 108" muslin to practice on. Loaded 1st practice quilt this afternoon and finally got to do a little sewing. That loading part is really a chore! I was watching the video & noticed how they skipped over the "fun" part of stuffing the batting between the top & back. Of course, I was using the packaged batting. It kept clinging to the muslin. I started with a panto because I thought it would be easier for a newbie. Then went around to the front of the machine to do a little playing with fill-in stuff. I was surprised that the freehand stuff was easier & more fun than the panto. :P

I think many of us would agree with you that freehand is easier than pantos. My thought is because w/ a panto we're trying to following a pattern exactly and freehand is just that - whatever direction/path our hands and mind feel like going.

Have fun and don't worry if you're not wonderful at first. Its takes plenty of practice. Even when we begin to be pretty good, there's still something to learn and practice. That's one of the fun parts of this there is are limits to what we can do with our machines as long as we keep an open mind.

The loading gets easier and quicker with practice. It used to take me 45 minutes to load a Queen sized but now I do it in about 20 - 25 minutes. Leave the backing loose and roll the top up to about 8" , put the batting in between, pull out the top to near the edge of the back, snug up the backing and off you go.

Sylvia from Canada

Archived