quilts from clothing of deceased

I made a quilt out of a deceased man's clothes for his widow, at the request of his daughter-in-law. I was asked to use a piece of as many items as I could, which resulted in small squares - I think about 3.5 inches cut. She wanted a large lap/almost twin bed size quilt. I used tee shirts, dress shirts, flannel shirts, golf shirts, silk boxers (with big red lips!!), jeans, dress pants in several colors, plaid golf shorts, bandanas, ties, but drew the line at the old socks and a ratty looking sweater. The widow likes blue, so I used a blue flowered flannel for the borders and a coordinating piece for the back.

Many of the items needed to be stabilized before I could sew them together. The quilt was heavy, but she loved it. I used a pocket from one pair of the jeans and appliqued it to the top left (or right) side of the quilt and then folded one of the bandanas up and put it in the pocket. I was told that the first time she saw the quilt she wrapped it around her and started to cry. The DIL pointed out the hankie in the pocket and she started to laugh and cry at the same time at she reached for it for her tears and sniffles. Anyway, everyone loved the quilt, even though it was kinda ugly in my humble opinion, but it was certainly sentimental.

Good luck with your quilt and I would love to see a picture when it's finished.

I recently helped someone make two small quilts from her deceased husband's flannel shirts. They were simple 9 patches for her sons who are currently 7 and 12 years old. I would suggest that you find a couple of simple patterns and let the person who wants the quilt to pick from them.

Dianne

Archived