Pumpkin Soup

Very interesting pattern. I like it! And the title is appropriate for the season :cool:

How about something from Suzanne Earley's book Meandering Magic in the center, a simple scallop design with whatever "magic" you do in the center for the white border and piano keys, dbl piano keys or swags in the outer border?

I'm sure others can show examples with pictures. I don't have any handy.......

First - my drawing in Paint is terrible! Maybe Santa will bring me a drawing tablet..... ;)

When I do piano keys I chalk registration marks with whatever spacing I want them to have. Then I just quilt them! Sometimes I use the channel locks but for the most part, I don't need to use them.

I stitch the line I chalked from the outer edge to the inner edge, SID a quarter inch over and stitch back out to the outer edge. Then stitch over to the next chalked line and repeat the process.

This would be a fun quilt to do! Good luck with it!

post--13461900802813_thumb.jpg

Laurie, I apologise(sp?) I think I lost my mind that day. Lots going on here, and alot of frustration with my quilting skills. I really appreciatiate you taking the time to show me what you meant. I love the paint diagram. I don't think you need a drawing tablet, but I hope you get one if you really want it. What kind of a chalk marking system do you use? I used the water soluble marker for the practice piece but wasn't sure I wanted to use it on the real thing. Also, is a 2" piano key too big on a 6" border.

2" is what the rail fence strips in the blocks are. Has anyone ever use Sulky 100% cotton blendables on their quilts. Did you have any issues with the thread?

I loaded a practice piece last night, and did a mock up of the quilt, I think it looks okay. Will be loading the real thing today, and will post pictures when I am done. Piano key brorders are no big deal, don't know why I was afraid of them. Used the channel locks only, no ruler except to make the registration marks. I can see that it would go really quickly once I get a rythm going, and I don't have to turn the quilt to do the other border!!!!Bonus!

Thanks again for the ideas and offers of help.

Hi Kerry,

For a piano key border I usually make the keys about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide...now that is the measurement that has worked on the borders I have had so far...is there a "rule" as to how big or small to make them??? The fabric you have on the borders on the quilt is pretty busy so chances are you will not even see them except for the texture. Piano keys are extremely simple to do with your channel locks...I mark the registration marks on the edge with my purple marker and then fly at it with my channel locks, I can do a queen size border in about 10 minutes once I have the rythym going.

Let us know how it goes, and yes a finished picture would be great!! Have fun!

Okay, here is the practice piece for piano key border, and E2E within a border. My GD's babies are going to have alot of blankets.

Thanks for looking and any pointers to make it better are welcome. I am loading the real quilt tonight, I think, and can hardly wait to get started!

post--13461900806453_thumb.jpg

Okay Kerry, that is awesome! and you were worried/concerned.... why????

I love the design in the center and the leaf border...I need to have those designs! Can you tell me whose they are?

I like the way you have the piano keys done. I have mitered the corners on the quilts I have done, I will see if I can find a picture of what that looks like and post it here.

Nadia, both designs are from Deb Geissler, I'll try to put in the links for you:

http://www.debrageissler.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_67_73&products_id=1348

and

http://www.debrageissler.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_66_70&products_id=1076

Hope that works. Thanks for the nice comments. Will keep working at the real quilt and post pictures when done.

Archived