Stitching Over Applique

Helen G

Since I have got my long arm machine in May I am paying more attention to quilts that have been quilted on a long arm machine. One thing that I have noticed is that many quilts that are quilted on LA's with pantographs have been quilted right over top of applique. I believe that if I would have done this on my domestic sewing machine that I would have had a struggle to free motion over applique and would have problem broken a needle (or worse!)

So here is the question--is it tough going quilting through applique, any tricks I should know about? This is applique that has been done with the overcast stitch on the sewing machine.

Thanks for your replies--it is wonderful have such a resource as this available!

Helen,

The only time you might have problems stitching over qpplique is if it has lots of fusible in it. I don't like to stitch over applique because I prefer the traditional outline stitch with no real stitching showing. I will add some highlights if needed and haven't had any big problems. If you're quilting a quilt with lots of layers of fusible you will more than likely break a needle or two. You can use sewers aid to help if needed.

Being an applique girl - I would not really worry so much about the strength of the machine/needle, etc., but the desire of the customer whether they want you to quilt through it. Otherwise, quilt away. Personally, I do not quilt through my applique, unless it is to accent it. I do not panto through it, but there are plenty of people who do. Just a personal preference.

I have LA'd quite a few machine applique quilts and I have not had a problem with it. If there are any areas that I think could be an issue I place an empty bobbin on the back of my table, on the panto, so I know to work around it.

I would often prefer to do these quilts custom, however, I decided I was no longer giving away custom and if the customer chooses to go with an edge-to-edge I just bite the bullet and do it. Sometimes a freehand E2E can work around the areas, depending on the quilt. No more free SID or Echos any more....

Archived