Trapunto batting

I have a lovely appliqued Baltimore album style top to quilt and have a batting question. To achieve a faux trapunto look should I load two battings?

I think I saw somewhere that you can load a cotton batt and top with a thin poly batt and you can get a puffier look. I'm planning to try to McTavish around the appliques and feather the border.

Am I headed in the right direction? Should I try to McTavish around the feathers? How stiff will this top be? You can tell I'm a little apprehensive!! Help!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

34 Days of rain and counting (just means I can quilt all day!)

Hey Linda, ;)

I do Faux Trapunto all the time.

Depending on the weight that you want in the quilt you can approach this several different ways.

#1. Use a Hobbs 80/20 or other thin cotton bat as the base,

and for the top use a fluffier bat i.e. "Hobbs Poly Down", or Quilters Dream "Puff". This method will give you a "Beefier" weight & you will have to quilt the background densely to allow the "Trapunto" areas to stand out. Once the quilting is completed, you can turn the quilt over to the back & mist with water & let dry. The cotton in the base with draw up ever so slightly, creating a beautiful Trapunto on top.

#2. Using just one bat, I like to use Quilters Dream "Puff".

Not quite as weighty, & not as lofty for the trapunto.

The thing to remember when you are doing Faux Trapunto is that everything will be fuller because you are not cutting away the extra batting. So it's important to sitich down the background well, to get the effect of trapunto. It looks so cool. Also keep in mind that with two layers of batting your quilt will be stiffer.

Barb and Rita. Give it a try on something small. Grab a piece of fabric about 24 inch square and an 18" top fabric, get your batting a do a small sample.

Here are a couple of samples of faux trapunto.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/31750194/1079247472034244157QIgbFZ

This on is old. Kinda fun going back looking at old

photos

http://community.webshots.com/photo/30758235/1055756546034244157lPVqAD

Real trapunto

http://community.webshots.com/photo/32082966/1032083145034244157NGXXXHKwiW

Myrna

Hi Kerri,

Here is another tid bit to whet your appetite & curiosity for trapunto! ;)

Also, take a peek at my friend Jeanette's site,

http://www.jeanettesfabrictodyefor.com/photogallery_wearables.htm

she has some beautiful hand dyed sateen?s, look in her gallery at what quilts have been made by Janet Fogg, she is amazing, & also teaches at MQS!

The fabric is an important part of the end results, that is what I used in this vest & most of my personal quilts.:D

Oh my gosh Myrna!!! You're work is amazing! I spent time, taking a sneak peak at many of your photos, then bookmarked it so I can go back and take a better look. Your work is just beautiful. And it makes me so excited to get my machine so I can learn to quilt like that.

I see you've quilted the TB Safe Haven quilt. I have that one all cut out right now and am ready to start sewing it. How much did you charge to do all that custom stitching on it? You did a wonderful job and made it looks so whimsical. You must be a busy gal with talent like that! :>)))

Rita

Thank you Rita!!!!

Yes I am a bit busy and I love it. I have a great job. Gosh I can't remember what I charged for that quilt. It's been some time ago. Quilting sampler's like that is one of my favorite things. I teach a class " Gotta Love Samplers"( named by our very own Carla Riley) I canquilt them but I can't name them :)

I charge by the square inch. Depending on the type of quilting. I am so excited for you . You will be quilting up a storm in no time. It's all about attuide , well a great deal about it anyway:cool:

If you need any help or have question keep them coming.

Myrna

Thanks Myrna! I'm big on having fun!

Linda, I recognized that vest right off, because I was reading through my Mctavish book last night before bed, no kidding, and I love your beautiful vest! Wow, that fabric is great.

You girls are a real inspiration. Take Care.:)

Hello Linda and all,

I just watched Ricky Tim's Grand Fanale and there were great helpful hints about Trapunto techniques that were very interesting.

He does all his quilting on a domestic machine but I found the information on the dvd a great help as there are not alot of dvd's out there for quilting of any sorts.

He also shows his method for improv feathers, flames, spirils and other designes. I'm trying to absorb as much free motion technique as I can since I'm afraid of Pantos.

Hope you get time to watch the dvd.

Happy quilting,

Beth

HI Everyone

I also think the best way to learn is to just jump right in there and do it. In regrds to R Tims, I've not seen him in person but I've followed his work right from the start and that seems to be his approach as well. Just do it! I'm always amazed when someone new appearson the quilting scene and they been accomplished so quickly....some of it will certainly be God given telent but I think a lot of it is not being scared to try new things, step out of our comfort zoen and that's what I plan on doing....if my machine ever gets here! Was to be delivered on Monday, now it looks like Thur or Friday. Oh well, that gives me the weekend to have fun!

Rita

Archived