winding bobbins with no hole?

I have aluminum bobbins without the holes. When I wind them...then get to the end of the bobbin, I find that it gets wrapped ina knot around itself. Is there a trick to winding these bobbins? Like do I prewind it clockwise or counterclockwise before putting it on the winder. I am using Superior Bottomline and the standalone APQS turbo winder. Thanks for the help.

We ended up with only one bobbin without a hole thru it, when himself checked it over on the outside, he could see where the hole should be, and used one of my tiny craft bits to drill a hole thru and then smoothed it off with emry cloth. Works great now.

RitaR

Hi, I only use the bobbins without the holes, I like them better for stitches. But, I had the same problem winding them. My husband showed me how they tie weights on a fishing line and it works great. So if you have a fisherman in the family have them show you. If you don't, you can make a loop, like you would start up to crochet and put it round the inside of the metal, pull to tighten it. Cut off the extra thread and then hold on to the thread lightly going into the bobbin until it tightens. It does take some practice, but now I like them much better. Good luck!!!

Archived