Electric Quilt

I have been considering buying the Electric Quilt program, mainly for help in figuring fabric calculations and such, so I can write my own patterns. someone suggestion the EQ3 , but I see they have EQ5, does it inlcude all of the previous versions, does anyone know? How would you rate the convience of use versus price and any other comments on the product.

Diane: I love EQ! I use EQ5 which is the newest version. Each version is an upgrade and is better than the previous. They're working on EQ6 which I hear may be out around the end of this year. Considering the price and the enhancements in EQ5, I would not recommend starting with EQ3. In the past, each time there has been an upgrade, registered users were able to upgrade at a discounted cost.

I've used Quilt Pro but prefer EQ. Hope this helps.

Thanks Judy, did you mean EQ 6 by the end of 2006. I probably won't wait that long. I am hoping this will save me headaches when I am figuring out yardages. Does this program help. I hate the math part of quilting. Yes I am looking for the lazy way out of figures borders and binding and you name it when it comes to the calcalutations.

Diane: Yes, that's what I heard . . that EQ6 may be out by the end of this year. And, I heard it directly from EQ. Things could happen that would slow the process but they're hoping to have it out by Christmas.

I never figure yardage based on EQ's calculations. It is always over, sometimes WAY over. It is based on the way EQ calculates how we cut triangles or something.

If you seriously want help figuring yardage, you need to look at the yardage calculator. I love this little tool! It figures yardage for backing and binding also. I've not found it wrong yet! Kings Men has it - http://kmquiltingsupply.com/Parts/FabriCalc.asp

I will be sure to check this out. Much cheaper, but I still will probably buy the EQ5. Unless someone thinks the EQ3 or 4 is a better buy. Any comments to help me decide would be still be appreciated. I want to publish some of my own patterns. I don't know for sure what all this program can do, I may still have to invest in desktop publisher.

• 2 weeks later...

Judy ~ I see that you mentioned it in a previous post. . I missed that. So is this calculator easy to figure out? It looks a little complicated. Did you have to "read the book" or is it pretty user friendly? I always buy WAY too much fabric and could use a little gadget like this. I'm an accountant by day so you'd think . . . it's the inches and eighths and such that get me!

Thanks!

Kathy:

I also buy more fabric than required but I tend to make cutting mistakes and would rather have too much than not enough.

When I first looked at the calculator, I thought it looked difficult. I'm not much on reading manuals so I didn't really spend much time with the instructions. I figured out the things I needed to know to use it and then as I needed to know more, I'd go back and read that section.

It comes with a handy little book and then there's a condensed version that fits right in the case with the calculator. I think for the price, it is a fantastic tool.

Archived