Interesting Article

Just received my Fons & Porter magazine yesterday and read the article by Gerald Rod "This Old Quilt". I love to read his articles, cause I love the history of quilts.

It is good to read what goes through the minds of a judge when viewing quilts. I especially liked the quote, "Too much sugar for a dime." How fitting that is in the quilting world at times. We think more is better....not always.

Good, short read.

Hi Mary Beth~

I just read that article too! I so agree with "too much sugar for a dime".

I love all quilting, but I was happy that not all quilts need so much quilting since I tend to want to do less.

Often less is more.

BTW~ We are having low temps with snow right now too.

There's a threat of freezing rain which I don't like much.

But we still have our electricity. With school cancelled this week (extends my break from school/work by one week). I'm crying in my beer, I mean my pumpkin bread that just came out of the oven, about that, NOT!!!

Been working on my personal quilting projects so I'm doing the happy dance this week!!

Nice to hear you are doing well.

Bonnie/Newberg, Or.

Hey Bon Bon, Bonnie Russell here,

Isn't it just beautiful here.

There were a couple of teachers at the gym this week who were happy school was canceled.

I don't get the Fons and Porter magazine, MB, but the article sounds interesting. Is he saying that show quilts are quilted too much, or quilts that don't win are inappropriately quilted too much?

I'm so afraid of quilting too much, consequently all my quilts NEED more quilting. I'm always disappointed when I get bubbles after the quilt is washed. I love the wrinkly look, but some areas that need more sort of pop out at me saying "Why didn't you tack me down some more".

Maybe I can peek at an issue on the news stand next time I'm in Joanns.

He was talking about quilts that are judged in shows.

Now, I'm not saying that I completely agree, because the quilts we see in shows such as MQS are for "quilters" so you are trying to show off your stuff.

I do agree that the quilting should "fit" the quilt and compliment the quilt top.

He mentions that with the intoduction of machines that can do so much now, sometimes there is too much quilting. He says that it is refreshing to get a quilt that has just the right amount of quilting.

I think there are some very spectacular quilter out there. So don't take me wrong, I don't dislike the quilting....I just agree sometimes with the "too much sugar" comment.

Archived