do you have one of these ?

quiltingnanny

Does anyone have a battery power surge protector ? Someone told me that they would allow me to stop the machine without damaging a quilt when there is a power failure. Hmm, that doesn't make much sense. Let me try again. When the power flickers or goes out [ which happens a lot here ] it would give me a chance to stop and shut downthe machine. Is that as clear as mud ?:) Glenda

I have one on my computer. It's a backup battery surge protector that keeps the computer running for a few minutes until I can shut it down. It also handles brown-outs (fluctuations in electricity). I thought about putting one on my Millie. They normally guarantee $25,000 replacement on equipment plugged into one of these. You can get them at most computer stores.

Glenda, I think you are wanting a UPS (Uninerrupted Power Supply) which is basically a battery to provide enough power for a computer so you can log off and shut down properly without it shutting down instantly in a power outage. I have a UPS hooked up to my computer an I know of people who have them on their longarm machines. So, it is a good idea to have a UPS if you have lots of surges and brown outs in your area.

I have UPS hooked up to my computers, embroidery machines and "Gator" (millie). You can buy UPS to cover different time periods and wattage. The ones, I have (Tripp-Lite and APC) will maintain power for 45 minutes in the event of a power outage. This gives me enough time to get to a good stopping point on anything I'm sewing and safely shut down the machines/computers. They also have great surge and voltage protection. Here in Virginia Beach we have a lot of voltage flux (i.e. lights dim/blink, etc) which is really bad for electronics the UPS I have keeps the voltage steady. UPS can be expensive and there's all types out there. I'm an Emergency Manager and we have UPS on all electronic gear in the Emergency Operations Center to maintain the equipment until the generators kick in during electrical outages.

ME to...to both the LA and the computer....it gives you enough time to shut down correctly so that no damage comes to to the machine. The good ones I bought were around $100+ and I got one each for these two machine...costly, but its so worth it if you are like us here...we have brown outs almost daily, you can really tell when people start to get home and they all flip on lights and such...the lights get really dim and then bright.

Archived