taking stock

Good Day

I have been going over the last year of business and have some reflections and questions.

This is the end of my second year of business. I retired from teaching in June 2007. Last year the amount of business I did was just about right to keep me busy. I did 110 customer quilts. If I had the same number of quilts this year I would be pleased. In the summer I have a big garden and yard to look after, as well as some hiking and such to do so this is not a fulltime job.

One concern I have is the apparent flood of longarm machines into our area in the last year and how much that will affect my business.

My question for you is - 1. how many quilts did you do last year?

2. Were you busy enough?

3. Do you notice a huge increase in the number of longarm machines in your area?

Thanks for any answers you may want to provide.

Sylvia from Canada

I probably did about 150 quilts last year. I was busy enough but wish there was a little more money in it. There are LOTS of LAers in my area. I find it very difficult to get new customers unless they are a friend/family of an existing customer. I go to guild meetings and advertise in the guild newsletter but it hasn't brought me more than 2 customers. Oh well, chalk that up as good will I guess.

Okay, I am in my third year of business. I had 7 customer quilts in 2008; which is definitely not enough. There are two reasons for this. one, there aren't that many piecers aroudn here interested in machine quilting. Second, for those who do want machine quilting there is a lady in Alamo (about 30 miles from here) who will do any quilt for $25. Even though you and I know that is ridiculous, people go to her rather than pay me $.01 per square inch.

I did 87 compared to 136 the year before.

We have in our rural area tons of LA, I think I have heard 50 in a 30 mile radius, I don't know if that is factual.

But just in the closest town, 9 miles, there are near 10 that I know of.

I was busy and had quilts all the time. Most of my quilting is custom of some sort which takes longer.

All of us are known for our timely manner, or quilting abilities, so my main focus is keeping my reputation up.

The hard thing is when a customer has a problem, does she come back and tell you or someone else.

I have a hard time when someone is complaining about another LA, I like to spread "Positive Gossip" about that LA, because you can always find something nice to say. If I can't find anything I usually say, they are talented from what I see.

I haven't always had this attitude and it is something I work at. God, Help Me!!

We have about 4-5 LA'rs in the area and I did 53 in my first 6 mos of quilting (started taking customers in May 2008) I get most of my customers from the quild (show and tell helps) and from the LQS, I have also joined a class at the LQS and have picked up 4-5 more from the class with several telling me that plan to enter them in shows this year...Yikes! My focus is quick turnaround but then I also focus on work quality and creativity. I wish the other LA'rs were friendlier as I think we could benefit from getting together but they pretty much keep to themselves, I understand that they are busy but it would be nice to share ideas...

Vicki

2007 was my first full year and I did 48 quilts (about one a week as planned); 2008 I did 50, so about the same, but I did more custom work, but I also was faster at quilting. We have 8-10 quilters in my area; I get quilts from the guild and friends. Let me tell you, recently two new LA'ers in the area gave me a little scare; but I have really, really prayed about my business. I feel if I have a quilt to put on the machine when I take one off, I will feel blessed. My quilting is not my main source of income. My DH says, it's a great hobby making us a little vacation money...Alaska someday

Sharon

I focus primarily on renting my machine. In 2007 I had 55 rentals, and in 2008 I had 124 rentals. There are plenty of longarmers in my area of Washington D.C. (Maryland side), and several shops that rent their HQ-16, but clearly the demand is there for people that want to quilt their own quilts.

If you're interested in supplementing your income, consider renting. You definitely need liability insurance. I really enjoy getting to know my renters and seeing them grow as quilters.

Julia

Archived