Decorator fabrics-top and bottom...oh my!

Hi Caron

The stencils used on the wide yellow border are #'s 515 and 516 from http//:www.quiltingcreations.com These come in 2 sizes, I used the 13" size but it also comes in size to fit 9" wide borders. I used part of another stencil in the centers of the borders, you can see I also used it through out the rest of the quilt. I think that one is from The Stencil Co. I transferred the stencils in the border before loading the quilt. In this case I used the Dritz Mark B Gone water soluble markers. I like to do as much prep work as possible before loading. This way I can just sit back and enjoy the quilting!

The spiral stencil is The Perfect Spiral, you can see and order it here: http://www.thimbleworks.com/perfect_spiral.htm

Instructions are included and it is very easy to figure out.

I used a small oval template or the arc guide from Linda Taylor to stitch the rays. The choice was dependant upon the curve of the spiral since it is tighter in the center and was space 1/2" on the outer edge. I also used rulers to keep the spine in the border consistant. Choose from what you have that matches the shape you are trying to follow. In this case I used the small oval template or the Accuguide from Donita Reeves.

Hope this helps, holler if you have further questions.

HI Tina

Are you referring to the big border feathers or the feathers that surround the center? The yellow border feathers were transferred from a stencil (see last post) and the inside feathers were freehand. I drew the spine to keep me on track and then freehanded the feathers. I did practice for along time and just drew them everywhere I could until I had it down. You can do it....just practice!

Regarding SID, slow down..find a nice ruler that feels comfortable and get that extended base.

:)Beautiful quilt, Sherry, & as always, an awesome quilting job! You & so many others are soooo:D talented; it's an inspiration to us all to see what kind of work can be done with a longarm.

Just got mine in Oct. &, believe me, I can only wish to be this good someday!

Thanks for sharing the great work, as well as your techniques!

Pat

AZ :cool:

Mille

I had to drool too when I saw Sherry's beautiful quilt. I did this one, same pattern, last year and won Best Rookie with it at HMQS in Salt Lake. It was an ambitious project after having my machine for only 2-3 months. It's a year later and I still have a long way to go to get where I want to be with my quilting.

347258838tObzqz_ph.jpg

Sherry, how long have you been quilting? You're one of my heros.

Polly

Sherry,

I LOVE that quilt. Your radiating lines, your feathers, your backgrounds......just wonderful. I'd love to have that pattern... those are my colors and it would look wonderful on my bed. You'd prolly have to quilt it for me because that is waaaay beyond what I can do! Beautiful craftmanship.

Cathie

Archived