Bobbin Tension

Is it possible that a bobbin will eventually wear out? I have noticed that I can get my tension perfect on straight lines and then it will eventually get tighter on the bottom of the quilt as I do circles and then stays tight even on straight lines. Does the screw that you tighten for tension eventually just get loose? I changed to a new bobbin case and the problem stopped.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

Well, I am sure it is possible for anything like this bobbin case to wear out or wear down over time and constant use... But it would take several years I am sure...

However, think about this: When your bobbin is full, it is heavier. Correct? When you do the drop test with a full bobbin (heavy with thread) it will drop easily due to weight. As the bobbin empties with less thread, the weight lessens and then it might require you to make looser tension (a very slight adjustment) to the bobbin case. Correct? Have you tried making a teeny tiny loosening of the bobbin tension screw as it gets lower with thread? This might help with your "stays tight" concern. Give it a try??

Vicki, is your machine on carpet or is it, like so many of us, in the garge on a concrete floor or a tile floor?

I have heard that a dropped bobbin case can get the slightest ding from hitting the hard floor and it just puts it out of whack. The ding is not always noticeable.

Maybe John could ring in on that. Is it just an old wives tale, John?

Thanks Everyone,

Shana, I never thought about it changing weight as the thread is used up, will give that a try on the next bobbin.

John, I don't have those magazines but will look online at the link.

Linda, my machine is on carpet and I have an antifatigue pad under it so on the occasion when I do drop the bobbin, it hits alot of padding so I don't think that it has a ding in it.

It seemed that I would never finish this quilt on my frame but it is finally done! Had to frog lots of bad stitches and I sure have learned to check more frequently...thanks again for the input!

Vicki

Actually the tension changes as the diameter of the thread on the bobbin changes. This is why a "L" bobbin has less change in tension than a "M" bobbin. It is simple physics.

Yes a bobbin case can be damaged by a drop on a had surface and you might not be able to see the damage. I believe the little spring that the thread passes through as it exits the bobbin case will degrade over usage. I have had machines that changing the bobbin case will fix problems but the bobbin case looked fine. At $9.95 it is a good idea to have a spare. Some quilters have a bobbin case set for different threads and color code the bobbin case with finger nail polish or hobby paint.

Hope this helps,

John

John

Recently I was having some tension problems and for the heck of it I inserted the spare bobbin case I had purchased as a 'just in case' thing. The machine behaved VERY differently with the new bobbin case...like the difference between driving a new sports car vs and old truck. And I didn't have all that many miles on the first bobbin case but wow, what a difference!

Thanks! I did have a spare bobbin case that I used and it worked much better, that is why I wondered if they wear out. I kept two bobbins one set for bottom line and the other for 40wt threads when I wound my own bobbins with colors that do not come in bottom line. As you suggested John and Mrs. A, I think I will just order several spares to keep around.

Thanks again,

Vicki

Archived