pokies - multiple thread colors

meg_marsh

Just finished a wall hanging and used 70/30 Quilters Dream. No matter how much I tweaked the tension, pokies showed up here and there. Mind you, I used red sew fine on the back through out and Issacord in many colors on the front. I know the tension seemed right. I know that part of the pokies (but not all) is seeing the stitch in the hole, & also changing direction of quilting makes a difference. The pokies would not have been a problem if I had used same or similar top and bottom, but of course I didn't want to do it the easy way .......

Now to my question. When using more than one color - should I always use a thicker batting or at least 2 battings to help avoid pokies?? I don't mind using more than one batting - especially for a wall hanging - would give the wall hanging more body & if I used wool or dream puff on top, would get more stitch definition. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

The answer is Yes. :) Use a thicker batting to give your thread more space to lock in the layers.

If you choose only to use one batting that is thinner, I suggest that you set your bobbin tension as loose as possible and tighten the tension a bit more on top. That will help keep pokies away from showing on the back.

Meg,

Which thickness was your 70/30? I have a roll, I think select (middle weight I think...always forget) and I've never had pokies with it. The only one I get pokies with is 80/20 Hobbs. Using a thicker batt does really make a difference. I love dream puff and every thinks it is super puffy but it really quilts down nicely. I did my daughters quilt with that and only the less quilted areas puff more. You get really beautiful stitches.

Heidi,

Actually, the QD 70/30 is thinner than the Hobbs - the QD 70/30 only comes in one weight. I guess the question goes further............ When I use Dream Puff or Wool, using multiple thread colors is a no brainer (& love both battings!!!!) ............. but the quilts then need extra work in the end with the edges being a tad wavy no matter how I handle them - they need a total block - what a pain. So I went with a firmer batting - guess the real answer is just to use 2 battings for a wall hanging when using mulitple thread colors........ or ................ is there a way to make sure the borders/edges come out smooth and firm when using the Dream Puff or QD Wool? Still lots for me to learn!!!

Shana - if making the bobbin tension looser - really - how loose???

How loose? Just keep tweaking. I mean not like it drops freely to the floor, but looser. Play with it and see what works. :) But you have to compensate with a tighter top tension. I have used different colored top thread with success. You will find the sweet spot.

Normally in these types of situations, a busy backer fabric is your friend and hides any pokies that might show. For example, if you can use a flannel fabric with a busy backer design this would (even more) help hide any sins. :) And you wouldn't need to do two batts.

Hi Meg,

I'm going to tease you a little here, but if it's a wallhanging I really don't stress too much about the pokeys on back unless the wall is glass--no one will see it;).

But seriously, here are some hints to help with your questions:

[*] As Shana suggests, tighten the top a bit more so you actually see the bobbin thread peaking out on the top; loosen the bobbin thread about 1/4 turn to start if you can't get it to happen by just changing the top thread. Just when you see the bobbin thread on top, then back off the top tension a smidge to allow the thread to sink back into the quilt.

[*] Be sure the quilt sandwich isn't tight when you quilt. If it is, the air space the batting creates is compressed and you lose the ability to get the thread to lock in between the quilt layers. Over-stretching can also make the borders wave when you're done.

[*] You can always try a larger needle to reduce flex and help balance tension, and just plan to mist the quilt back when you're done to help close up the holes (be sure everything can get wet)

[*] Choose a busy print backing (a suggestion I make for all quilts) to hide the tension changes due to direction and needle flex

[*] Use a Pigma Permanent Marker (found in your local quilt shop) and color in the dots you see on the back. Heat set them with an iron. (Several well-known quilters have earned thousands of $$$ in prize money and have colored in their tension woes on the back)!

[*] When using a puffy batting and dealing with the borders, make sure the amount of quilting in the border is the same as the interior of the quilt. One reason borders ruffle is imbalanced density of quilting. (Another is over-stretching the fabric on the frame). Try to choose quilting designs that get close to the quilt's outer edge or leave it completely.

Pin-baste the quilt edges instead of machine basting them. This gives the outer edges a chance to "shrink" just like the interior of the border or quilt.

Dawn,

Thanks - learned some new things -

I had forgotten about cheating with the marker - good point!!!! I only need red for this quilt.

pin- basting the edges is one I will try. I feel that my quilting is right but had not thought of pin basting the edges - makes sense. The fabrics are going in different directions and now with the quilting plus the binding, you are adding one more factor. Will try it on my next puffy batting! I will get this right - someday!!! I am extremely careful when I add the binding on these quilts - pin and then attach - have found that this helps, but is not perfect yet ....

Had not tried a larger needle - will keep that in mind.

I did release the tension on the quilt between the rollers to the point that I thought it was a bit baggy, but really wasn't - still had problems - you see - I keep reading and learning!!!!

Now to Shana's recommendation - I already follow that idea - picked up on that early on - from Shana and had very good results - but in this case just wasn't working - I think too many variables - fabric changes, stitches changing directions, etc......

thank you for the input - just so much to learn - every quilt is a learning experience!!! and still loving it!!!

Shana,

Thanks - am always listening when you speak - you are a wealth of knowledge!!! thank you!!

To everyone else - are we not the luckiest gals alive to have such a great resource of information - many kuddos to the gals of this forum!!!!!:D :D:D

Meg,

Not much I can add. It has been a long time since I ordered the roll I have and it is select and you are right it only comes in 1 weight. I thought it used to come in more. I have switched to Shana's method for the bobbin tension and that made a huge difference in my stitch. You can absolutely get a nice straight edge with dream puff. I actually use large basting stitching with the machine about 1" apart using the needle up/down function. I tend to run into the pins with my hands and make a bloody mess :o! It does take a little bit of time but I think it is time well spent! I only pin the sections down if I have to roll forward and then back to finish quilting.

Thanks Heidi,

Glad to know that I am right about the extra care with edges for the puffy battings and that it wasn't poor workmanship on my part. I will definitely follow this new (to me) idea on my next puffy batting quilt. I have been fully basting the edges.

Shana,

Even if you learned it from someone else, you are always so quick to share with all of us so that we can learn also!!! It is a big help. Thank you!!

Meg,

You may consider using Warm and Natural for wall hangings. It is much "firmer." I personally do not like WN and will only use it for a wall quilt.

I use all of the QD battings. I never have have problems with pokies unless something is not right with my machine, i.e. a very small piece of fuzz can do it. Especially if it is under the tension spring finger on the bobbin case or is the tension spring finger is not snapped into the proper place.

I used to machine baste everything. Now I pin baste everything and I float nothing. My quilting has greatly improved and my problems have greatly reduced.

I rarely use the same color or weight thread on top and bottom. I love to play with thread. I use Halo quite a bit on my machine and do not have problems even though this is a bobbin thread. I am beginning to use Masterpiece quite a bit. I love the way it looks on the quilt.

Just keep playing and you and your baby will find the niche where everything is perfect!!!

Sandra

Sandra,

Thanks for the input - after all is said and done, I did find a tiny piece of black fuzz under the spring finger today - it it gone!!!! I do float my quilts, but that being said, I do smooth out everything out nicely, give a little tug on both batting and top, pin across next to the roller & then after all is square and nice I give a little turn of the backing bar to loosen everything up. This just seems to be easier than rolling the top and I find that everything stays nice and square. I am going to continue to work on the thin batting/multiple colors/tension issue. I know I am so close, just not quite there.

Archived