Pantos --how to start subsequent rows

Starla

Starla,

Myrna Ficken has a dvd for beginning longarm quilting. It shows everything from start to finish. From squaring the backing to choosing designs and thread, how to line up your pantos. Just a wealth for info demoed right there for you to view, back up and see again until you get it all! Kimmie Brunner has another one for beginners, too,that is highly recommended. I have Myrna's and am about to get Kimmies,too.

Starla,

As you gain more experience and get some more practice in, you will be able to just do it. I just eye ball it. I put the laser light on the highest point on the panto, hit the channel locks, and roll the quilt leaving about 1/4" of space between rows. Then I unlock the channel locks and using the laser light, touch on each high point on the pattern to see if it will clear the prevous row. If I don't over lap, and there is not too much space between, I start the next row.

One of the best Panto Tutorials is at Cindy Roth's Long Arm University website---in fact all her tutorials are worth reading and watching!

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/tutorial%20page.htm

I used this tutorial in the beginning. I do think Cindy overthinks a lot of her panto placement, but you do learn a lot, and it's step by step. With practice you will soon learn how to line up subsequent rows, and also what to look for when buying pantos---I was never going to use pantos---I love free motion--- until I used Cindy's tutorial. :) Now I do a lot of pantos, and really enjoy them ---especially on busy scrappy quilts. They add a lot of texture to the quilting

Cindy's rule is worth writing and taping some place near your machine and frame----

"Where the needle is, the laser is---They both must be in the same place to have the pattern stitch correctly."

It is difficult to find really good tutorials on Pantos. Penny Bubar attempts to instruct on You Tube---but the quality of the video and her chatter did not help me--- but do take a look.

Take care---hope this helps.

Archived