Minkee Fabric

I had a request this past week (which I turned down) but I would like to get some input on it for the future.

The customer wanted to use the minkee fabric for the back of a 80x80 lone star quiltand she wanted it custom quilted with alot of feathers, and stippling, continuous curves ect...

My question is wouldn't there be too much bulk with the minkee fabric having to be pieced to accomadate the large quilt size and since the lone star quilts have a lot of piecing due to all of those diamonds wouldn't the quilt just be impossible to quilt with that type of backing?

What would you have done? I suggested that she choose either a different type of backing or that she choose an all over open pantograph. She insisted that she wanted to use the minkee backing. I never heard of it being used as a backing other than a baby or small childs quilt.

Thanks

Joann

I have done several full-size quilts with Minkee as the backing and haven't had any problems with it. I even did one for my husband because he wanted something soft for cuddling in front of the fire. It came out great. I didn't do any stippling but it was a pretty dense pattern. I have also done a quilt with fleece as a backing and had no problems either. Hope this helps.

Happy Quilting,

I have successfully done 2 quilts with minkee as the backing.

The first one was a baby quilt (I was so glad to START with a small one) and the second was a large throw.

Several other longarmers in the area had warned me about doing a quilt backed with minkee and they too would not accept one. Being new to this business, I said "SURE, I'll give it a try!"

They quilted up beautifully. I did minimal quilting on the baby quilt, but on the large throw I did alot of feathering. I only had about 2 inches of bakcing fabric on my sides, so that was a little tricky.

My advice is to just watch over stretching it.

I do have a question tho..............If a quilt top is made with fabrics that have NOT be pre-washed what will the quilt look like AFTER it has been washed? The top will shrink and I assume that the minkee will not.........

tammy in AZ

ps. I would post a picture if I knew how!

Archived