Help on timing

KarenLummus

Help! Has anyone had this problem? Of course it would happen on a Friday night and I hope I don't have to wait until Monday and call Amy. I ran over my zippers and threw off my timing. I did everything the instructions on retiming said to do and even understood them. But after I positioned the needle correctly in relation to the hook and assured that there was a slight flex on the upstroke of the needle slightly below the halfway point on the needle, I felt like I was hurled into the twilight zone. I tightened the 3 set screws after checking everything and rotated the flywheel clockwise by hand. On the second rotation the needle didn't come anywhere near the hook. In fact, it would run into the assembly about a half inch past the hook. It seems like the rotation of the assembly and the the rotation of the flywheel are out of sync. Is this possible? What could I be doing wrong/ I must have redone the steps 20 times with the same results. Help!!

Karen

Could be that when you tighten the screws they are going into the old indentations on the shaft. If that is the case remove the hook and turn the machine on and hold a piece of fine emery paper against the shaft to remove the burr. Replace the hook and time. When I tighten the 3 screws I snug them up and rotate the flywheel around and check the timing if good I tighten a little more and rotate check timing again and tighten some more. Don't forget to check the position finger, if it is not in the slot the basket will spin around and hit the needle also. If the timing is changing each time you rotate the flywheel maybe a tooth is torn off the belt (pretty rare I would think).

Hope this helps, if not I am sure someone else will chime in shortly

Nigel

Linda and Nigel,

I followed both of your suggestions. I wish timing instructions from APQS were a bit more detailed. But I am still having the same problem. On the second rotation by hand after following the entire timing procedure, the needle still lands about an inch beyond the hook. If I move the flywheel back counterclockwise, it will land back where it belongs. I am baffled! I guess I may have to wait until Monday and do something fun other than quilting this week-end, like go on a hike.

Archived