HELP! Tension problem

I read Dawn's recent article, but didn't find the answer that I was looking for (at least I don't think I did!). I am doing a "bread and butter" quilting technique that uses wiggly lines or other "outliners" (Elaine Huffman technique) instead of SID. I have been taking off the SR (as per suggestion of Dawn in an earlier post when I first got my machine) and putting the speed pretty high so that I could make the outliners small and consistent. My bobbin thread is breaking each time I do the high speed designs and I am noticing when I have the SR on I can see the bobbin thread. I have my bobbin at it's usual TOWA gauge level (150) and if I tighten it, the thread doesn't com through when I do the drop test. I have been playing with the top tension to no avail. I am using So Fine thread in the top and bottom. Perhaps I am not doing the top tension correctly...from the front of the machine, is it still "righty tighty, lefty loosey"? Is the starting position for the top tension at the 12 o'clock position or 3? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My Towa guage is number different...but I go with 12ish...probably 120(?) on your gauge. On top thread, it should be the same tension as the bobbin when you pull on both. Don't worry about a number on the top, go by feel. If it is tight enough that your thead gets a spiral effect when pulled through the needle...it is too tight.

I am no Dawn Cavanaugh...she is the best...if you follow her directions you can't go wrong.

Well, I'm no help w/the bobbin thread breaking in non SR mode as it happens to me too. It has something to do with not moving fast enough, so I don't go NON - SR. :P If I can help it.

I guess I'm not understanding part of the question. You say when you tighten up your bobbin you don't see it in the drop test? I don't understand what you're doing on this.

It's awesome to hear of people who's machines like the bobbin as loose as mine!:D That being said, I set my bobbin to around 10-12 (100-120 on my new gauge) then stitch to see where things are. If I see top thread on the back I tighten the top. I usually tighten the top until I see a teeny tiny speck of my bobbin thread peeking at the top then back off a teeny teeny bit.

These adjustments can remain unchanged, for me, for several quilts if I'm running the same thread combinations, usually Rainbows on top and Maxi Loc in bobbin. The quilt's ingredients, though, can effect this and make me need to change. The quilt I did before the one on my machine was a batik bargello with millions of seams/intersections and my top thread kept breaking. So I had to adjust both tensions. I always start w/the bobbin because I have a gauge and have a number to start with.

Remember, if you get loopies on top you loosened it too much. So if tightening it up to stop loopies makes it break again you've got to loosen the bobbin.

Clear as mud?:P

mcarmickle,

Sorry to hear that the thread is giving you fits!

If your bobbin thread is breaking, you're lingering a bit too long at the direction changes (the machine puts several stitches in the same hole before you even realize it, and the thread breaks) and/or are moving too quickly on straight runs. (This would be characterized by having longer stitches than you like.)

If you want to stitch in manual mode but the breakage is occurring, turn the motor speed down a little more. It will give you time to react and change direction without piling up the stitches in the corners and breaking the bobbin thread.

As for the tension issue, we might need a little clarification to understand your question. I'm guessing that you started adjusting the tension because the thread was breaking. But in reality, it wasn't the tension that was causing the breakage, but the motion of the machine. You mention that when you have the SR on you can see the bobbin thread...I'm not sure where you see it...on the top or on the bottom?

Give us a little more info and let's see if we can't get the tension ironed out!

mcarmickle, I had tension issues until I literally loosened my bobbin so it zings to the floor. I followed Dawn's advise. Then I adjusted my top tension and I have beautiful stitches. I think sometimes we are trained to think if it's loose something is wrong. Give it a try I think you will be very happy with the results.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Archived