Selvage edges on backing - ooops!!

I know that we usually remove the selvage edges on our quilt backings, because they don't stretch like the rest of the fabric does -- and I usually do this. However, I am in the process of piecing the back for a quilt that will be the backdrop for my vendor booth at Quilt Shows (and will eventually be our bed quilt). I am running the lengthwise grain of the fabric from the top to bottom of the quilt. I will be loading it on my Millie "sideways" - that is, with the side borders of the quilt (and the selvages of the backing fabric) parallel to the rollers.

My question is this: Since I want this quilt not to sag as my backdrop (consider it essentially a huge wallhanging :D ), would it be better to leave the selvages on the backing strips, to give the quilt some lengthwise strength?

Dear Barb- I am far from an expert here, but I would say that since your final intention is for this to be a bed quilt, and thus, be subject to laundry, I would remove those selvage edges. If you feel that hanging the quilt would stress it unduly, maybe you could mount the quilt to another larger fabric base that would be the actual backdrop of your booth attached to whatever the suspension system. That way the weight of the quilt would be dispersed along the entire backdrop. JMHO. Sally

I am not an expert, but nothing good can come from leaving a selvage on the quilt. The selvages are woven much more tightly. Especially if you want it to become a bed quilt with multiple washing, you could face the problem of a beautiful quilt with a pucker down the middle in years to come. Even prior to washing, you may see puckering in the quilt because of the tighter fabric in the selvage.

I sew my backing lengths together with the selvage on and sew a 1 inch seam. When I'm finished sewing, I cip and rip the selvage off. At least, I don't have to fight the strings when I sew the back together.

I've already done the right thing and taken the selvages off.... But it seemed like an interesting idea for a display quilt. Hadn't really thought it through for its next life as a bed quilt....:o

That's part of what this forum is for - to keep us from doing something stupid when we're not thinking clearly!:P

Thanks, Holly & Sally!!!

Archived