Needle Question

I have been advised that Groz Beckert has bought out Singer. They have officially changed the packaging from Singer to Groz Beckert. They swear to me that they are the EXACT same needles. 134 MR 4.0 size 18 sharp. Can anyone varify this information for me.

Thanks, Sheri

(I am a newbie and realized I posted my question on the first time on the wrong forum)

Amy has said several times that there is a difference between the Singer & Groz Beckert. She also has said that our machines can use the Groz Beckert but will have to retime our machines because of the difference. So if there has been a buy out - will be all have to retime our machines??

I have heard the the buy out happened, this was some time ago. I have just ordered a new shipment of needles to sell at MQS. To my knowledge the packaging has not changed but it is possible. The MR designation is unique to Singer to my understanding. If you look at the MR the scarf is very pronounced, this is why they do such a good job.

I'll do a little investigating today.

John

Sure glad I asked the question. Thanks everyone for you input. I think I will wait and see if I can't find some Singer needles before I invest in a box of 100's that I won't be happy with. I may have a friend shop for me at MQS.

Hi Sheri and everyone:

I didn't know about the buyout so thanks for letting us know. When I tried the Groz-Beckert needles, I had problems with stitch quality and skipped stitches. I was told by apqs that those needles are just a teeny bit shorter than the Singers so the machine should be retimed to use those needles successfully.

I wanted to use a smaller needle and not punch such big holes in my quilts so I have been buying industrial Schmetz needles (online) from the Ed Raichert sewing machine company in Phoenix AZ. If you tell them what type of machine you have, they will recommend one of three Schmetz needles. So far I have used the size 16 and 14 and they have performed quite well without any re-timing. They're available in packages of 10 or 100. If the new GB/Singer needles become a problem for anyone, I recommend you try the Schmetz. Nancy in Tucson

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=14723&page=1#pid155424[/url]

Here is a previous discussion on needles. I only know that my Gammill machine loves the Groz Beckert much better than the other brand I was using which was given me when I bought my machine. It may have just have been a bad package of needles because this brand worked for several months previously. However, as I have had zero problems since changing to GB, I'll stick with them. It shouldn't be, but could it be that each machine rather than each brand of machine is very individualistic and has its own preferences in needles?

Archived