Clam-shell panto question

Question

how does one do the baptist fan and clam-shell design?

Do you need a special ruler,or a special table top.?

Both of these designs come in a roll panto and I was thing of using the clam-shell design in the quilt top I posted last week.

Each time i see quilts done with these designs the lines look so smooth and straight.

I use pattern boards to do baptist fans and clam shells. Some people use the Circle Lord (wish I could afford one), some people use the Hartley fence, some people use rulers/templates. I've never been accurate enough with a panto to do this type of design.

I have the baptist fan boards from R&S Designs http://www.rns-design.com/

clam shell ruler from Quilters Rule they actually are called "Dragon Scales" and it stacked.

here is the website for that as well. http://www.quiltersrule.com/template/designToolMain-1.html

I like this one better for me as I can control it better than some of the boards I've tried...

There is no need for any special tools for these designs. In the beginning I tried to use a panto for clamshell and ended up with a disaster. If you have well marked circles--that is all you need. The quarter markings are the important ones. Nested circles wouldn't be the easiest thing to use. For the baptist fans, just use even increments of the four different circles and you can make them continuously. Goodluck!!

Kelly

The very efficient and easy to use TOPPER from Linda and Denny Rech can also be purchased for a very small amount, compared to other pattern board holders, circle makers, etc . I love mine and the pattern boards from Linda as well as the R & S pattern boards which are also not nearly as expensive.. I also have the clam shell with tear, Baptist Fan, stars, ribbons, circles, spirals, e2e patterns of flowers, and I'm not sure what else at this time.. (a long way from home). If I had to wait until I could afford the others, I'd never have any.

The Topper also works from the front of the machine.. much easier for me to use than from the back.

There is certainly no insult or offense intended for other systems or makers..

RitaR

The

Archived