Straight stitching/Cross-hatching with George

So how does one do extensive straight stitching or cross-hatching on George? Just curious if any of you find the lack of feed dogs a problem. I know it's great for free motion, but can't figure out the straight stuff with this guy. Any comments? :) Laura

Hi Laura:

As I just explained to Lynnie, Sharon Schamber's Halo works great with George. I do circles (pebbles) all the time. If you can sew them on a DSM, you can sew them on George. Also, take a look at Jill Frazior's earlier post about using the halo with rulers to do straight line quilting on George. I still haven't tried that...I use my Brother 1500S with feed dogs up for crosshatching and I SID with George freehand just fine. Nancy in Tucson

PS...So nice to have active posts in the George forum!!! Please keep it up.

I don't have a George, but I love George and I love to see the creativity that all of you George owners are doing. I also love George's "mom" Claudia Meyers (she is a doll) and she does amazing things with George, too :) Please continue to share your stuff with us. I always read the George posts cuz I like to hear and see what you are doing.

Hi Claudia:

Sorry, I believe I answered your question awhile back but posted it on the other George thread. Lynnie has provided the same answer AND the idea of moving the screw that holds the needle to the front of the machine for easier handling when changing needles. Brilliant! Nancy in Tucson

I'm referring back to my original question. Let's say you have an Irish chain or something geometric that needs some nice long straight lines...not so easily done with George? I can picture "holding the ruler within the halo" trick and doing smaller areas of cross-hatching, but what about the big stuff? Just curious! :-) Laura

Laura,

How do you feel about tape? Recently someone showed me she used the purple painter's tape to mark a straight line and then just sat and stitched it. That way you could use the halo if you wanted--or not. When finished, just pull the tape and move it to the next long line of stitching. I believe that would be lots easier than using a ruler. If going short distances, I believe a ruler would work better or maybe just as well as the tape but the tape might be too fiddly.

HTH,

LynnieD

Thanks, Lynnie, never thought of that with George. I've used the tape with a walking foot on my DSM, but this would probably be the way to go with George. :-) i've never tried freehanding straight lines, but with a little practice sounds do-able. Laura

I haven't done it yet, but I think you could always combine the tape and the ruler for those long strips. The tape would be your marking and if you put the ruler over the tape on the edge you would have the thickness of the ruler to help keep George straight down the line, then move the ruler to help hold and move along the next portion of line.

Let us know how this works, or what does. I need to get back to my George. The heavy, time consuming activities are about over, so I keep hoping my time is coming.

Archived