First Practice Quilt form H......

Well The practice quilts have been coming in from various people, the very first, one is all 3 inch squares (not so square), I did not dare square it up before loading as it would have had a 3 inch square at the bottom and a 1/2 inch square at the top, wavey in the middle, so decided to load. I loaded and then strectch as much as possible without causing too much stress on the fabric, was hand pieced. Did about 12 inchs of meandering with loops, and did my first roll up, and I have creases, so now I am ripping out. Of course my meandering is small rather than large. I have to laugh, because I though this stuff would happen as I went along, not on the first quilt...1 /2 hour of sewing and so far about 2 hours of ripping out and not done. Is there an easier way.:D

Diane: I know it doesn't make you feel any better but it has happened to all of us. One thing we all know is that it is really quick to put in and takes *forever* to take out.

It gets better and you'll soon forget the trials and tribulations of the first few quilts.

Hi Diane, I just had to go back and fix a few puckers on the back on one last week. I haven't had to do that for about a year. It was also one that didn't lie flat as it is the customer's first quilt. I was trying to ease in as I went along.

At MQS one of the instructors had a suggestion that I tried and it worked. Instead of frogging the entire area take out just what you need and then steam just that area and iron until dry then quilt it. It worked great! The puckers were on the back so I just rolled that spot to the back roller and did it there--there was lots of padding so it wouldn't affect the leaders. Jeri

I'm new to this group. I'm a SAHM with 4 boys - one Marine, two in college and one 5th grader. I've had my Millie for 3 years but have only been seriously using her since Oct. Speaking from serious experience, Diane, frogging is one of the unfortunate inevitablities in the learning curve. Lots and lots of frogging in the beginning and hopefully less and less as the PPP continues.

Thanks, Jeri, for the tip to steam the area and press dry on the roller. I will definitely try that when the next pleat occurs. (Notice, Diane, I said *when* cuz it will definitely happen).

Melinda in CT

Millie

Thanks for the info on the steam iron. I will try that. I am about halfway ripped out, decied my one crease in the middle of course was too big. I had a few smaller ones the steam would have work on I bet. So I will be watching for that. I guess when I hear all ofyou going through the same things It makes me feel like I am on the right track of learning. :D

Archived