I have a quilt block of the month that I did and bought the fabric for the back at the same time. Went to see what I had to do to piece it (the Back) the other day and must have been shorted on the backing fabric soooo the question what is the proper way to add a different fabric with the other that won't look dorky. Top- Sides -Bottom??? I cannot get the orignal fabric anymore and dont have anything else that I would use it on so I would still like to use it on the back. Anyone???

I often piece backing...just for interest. I try to piece it in a way that the seams don't compete/create issues with the top. But I've seen and done a variety of easy things on the back such as off center blocks of the same design as the front, one big 9-patch, a simple color coordinating 3-piece back, etc.

I assisted at the NC Quilt Symposium last week, holding/flipping/running quilts for the judges. The judge I worked with the most was disappointed in how few quilts had anything interesting on the back.

Have fun with it!

Anita

I just had a customer bring me a quilt and the backing was too narrow. It was an old Christmas fabric, black with musical instruments. She bought a solid black and said she would add to each side, I told her it would look less like "you screwed up and didn't buy enough" look if she would cut down the middle or to one side and add it than if we had just an 1 1/2 or 2" showing on each side.

My choice for that situation that I have used is just to add the same border around all four sides.

Of if you don't want a different color in there, have you checked out John Flynn's diagonal backing option. I've used it before. It lets you cut a diagonal cut from corner to corner as the fabric is open, then slide the left side up, righthand side down until it is as wide and long as needed. Then flip the right side over the left side, pin, and sew the seam. He has a formula with the directions on his website. It could be called Joan's diagonal backing.

Archived