Backings......

Has anyone ever received a pieced backing that is sewed with a thick seam ie: something like jeans with two seams and all raw edges tucked inside the seams? Am I the only one out there who thinks this is just too thick to quilt through after adding the top and batting? Is this a new way to sew backings...?

Can you call them and explain that a flat felled seam will cause skipped stitches down the seam line and probably be very noticeable on the top? Let them decide if they want to frog and re-sew that seam or pay you (your hourly wage) to fix it for them. I don't think I've got one of these yet.

I don't think he will want to pay me for my time as I have 4 Queen size backings from him that are all sewn with 2 seams each this way. I did not notice this when he dropped them off as he just handed me the backings all folded up and I did not think to look at the seams at the time. No, he is retired, I am not, and he has the time to redo them, Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was being too picky but I did load one and this made the sides way wonky! So I did take it back off and am planning to call him.

Vicki

If its regular cotton its not to thick to sew through, but it won't look good..the ridge that it will leave will be noticable from both sides and that won't be a happy moment for the customer. I also suggest a phone call or email to her and explain that this will be an eyesore when finished, and that "French Seams" or "Felted Seams" aren't neccesary with good quality fabrics...the raveling that can happen won't once quilted.

Also as already suggested...an hourly wage to fix or let her do the job.

Archived