Pigtail Bobbin Case

I've never used one on a APQS machine, but I do have one on my 12 needle embroidery machine and I have to run the bobbin thread VERY loose to make it work right. Maybe that is the secret.... But I Honestly have never heard of anyone using a pigtail bobbin on a APQS longarm. I know they make them...just a standard "L" bobbin case, but does APQS sell them?

I use it all the time with any slippery threads - I guess the bobbin tension is looser (sorry that's a bit vague) - it still does the fast spider drop action and I tighten up the top tension a fair bit. I use Isalon or Isacord top and bottom mostly or bottom line if I have it and never fiddle with the bobbin case at all now.

Update - famous last words...

I have a huge, ugly quilt to do so am doing giant shells. My SR has broken down and I just don't have time to sort it out so I'm in non-SR on stitch length 13

Despite tightenening the top up, the top thread just decides to go all baggy and loose and I get eyelashes on the back - having started off OK. Working in twilight without nice bright light bulbs and I can hear catching underneath - now I have the bobbin thread lying flat WHAT is going on?? I went back to the normal bobbin case - better but the slippery thread is coming off the bobbin (while sitching) so pigtail goes back on to solve that. Rethread the whole machine, have a lightbulb moment and realise that I have been using the bobbins with holes, swap back to aluminium bobbins, tighten bobbin case to creeping spider, not dropping spider and tension is much better

BUT I have a lot of frogging and fixing to do today that I don't have time for - should have stopped and fixed everything to start off with!!:mad:

Thanks, you guys, for the input.

I did purchase the pigtail cases specifically for my APQS, as I had heard they helped prevent tension issues. However, when I attempted to use them, I actually caused myself problems, which is why I needed to ask for help.

I didn't have a chance to try your suggestion about loosening the tension yet, as I've had to go to my "other" job for the past few days. I'll try loosening the tension further (although I do usually run pretty loose) and see if I have success. Thanks again. I really appreciate your advice.

Funny that this topic came up. I just ordered a new bobbin case when I ordered my edgerider wheels. The one I got had this springy thing on it. I thought they sent me the wrong one. I never even put it in the machine. Maybe I will try it.

Archived