washing wool batt

I use Hobbs 100% washable wool batting in my quilts all the time and wash and dry them in the machine, but I imagine that is nothing like the batting you are talking about. I would wash those Quilts very carefully on a delicate cycle and hang to dry. I am however known to be a bit adventures rather than careful.

I hope someone can give you better advice.

If you do use the hand carded wool, wouldn't you have to quilt it pretty dense? If it is stable within the quilt, I don't see why you couldn't wash it on delicate. I'm thinking of the woolen fabrics I have washed and had them shrink almost like felt. Years ago I used to wash my DH's Pendleton woolen shirts--not good!:( But now they have washable woolens.

When you speak of using them for duvets, do you mean stuffing? That would make a very warm bed cover! I can see two pieces of fabric sandwiched around the carded wool, and rows of stitching to hold it in place, much like a sleeping bag quilt. This would be something that would just be aired and not washed? Then you could make duvet covers, like a pillow case, to protect the duvet. Am I on the right track?

Are you in the part of Alberta that has very cold winters? I couldn't handle the wool, but it sounds cozy.

You got it right, Boni. The duvet covers protect the wool "innards" and are removed like a huge pillowcase for washing. Winters in my part of Alberta can get very cold, and for years I lived in a house with no heat in the bedroom. You could really feel the difference between wool or poly batting. Wool was so much more comfortable. I had a thin wool duvet that I used in the summertime ( it gets really hot here). It was very comfortable. Wool is such an amazing fiber.

Archived