quilt design program?

Yes, you can use them to design your quilt layout. I have used both, but currently am using EQ6. You can use solid colors or fabric in it to see what the quilt will look like. I know that they used to have stash updates that you could purchase that has the currently fabric lines in it. (and may still) I have never purchased one, but I have scan some fabrics that I was using in a quilt and then uploaded it into the program.

There is also a way to do quilting designs, according to one of my friends, but I have not tried to do that.

It will calculate fabric needed for the quilt and cutting instruction for the blocks. You can print out foundations for paper piecing.

They are really neat programs, but I don't use mine all that often. Of course, I am not piecing any where near as much as I did before getting my longarm. I just starting piecing a quilt that I did design in EQ for my new nephew that is due in September. Now all I have to do is decide what to make for his twin sister. :)

Thanks for the input. I may try QuiltPro. I used the old QuiltPro I & it was pretty much junk, but I am sure they have all come a long way. I was totally blown away by what my friend could do with her EQ6. Of course, she is a computer whiz & a PhD in math, neither of which I am, so results may differ.

Sandra, you can design using blocks from the program's extensive traditional block library, or create your own; make them any color, even scan in the actual fabric if you want; make them any size, any arrangement, etc.; calculate the amount of fabric you'll need; just about anything you can think of short of having the computer sew it for you. Saves a lot of trial & error, & paper.

I have EQ6 and use it all the time to get quilting ideas and design/color choices for new quilts. They have a huge library of blocks and then you can take those blocks and change them if you want. It is a great way to design a quilt or even just a border and try out color placement. EQ6 does take a little getting used to. It is not as easy to use as some of the other quilting programs but if you work through the workbooks available you will learn a ton. You will also soon discover what you would use it for most. I taught EQ5 at our LQS and teaching it really made me learn a lot about the capabilities of it. It is huge and I'm sure I've only touched the tip of the iceberg. I use it to get blocks for our guilds block of the month and I can import the designs to Word and write directions for piecing. All in all my program as paid for itself many times over!

Archived