Quilting over fusible web

Hi all.....I have a quilt here with fusible web applique on it . I have never quilted on top of this before....anyone with experience out there.....will the needle go through this and will my needle get all gummed up? tension issues ahead???? can I quilt on the places where there is fusible web'd applique over fusible web'd applique? These are some folk artsy large flowers w/ big centers that I want to quilt some stamens on and jazz up a bit....but I'm afraid to go there......any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

I quilt over fusible all the time. Whether or not you have problems may be more related to the brand and type of fusible you used, not the machine itself.

I use WonderUnder which doesn't gum up the needle or cause many issues. I am often quilting through 4 or 5 layers of fused fabrics. I DID have some problems with the last quilt I did, when I tried going up a few needle sizes to avoid some rayon thread shredding. The needle broke because it couldn't break through the fabric. I normally use a pretty small needle. So test your needle by turning the wheel by hand.

Heat and Bond Heavy, WILL gum up your needle. Try to avoid it.

One thing I can offer is the suggestion to make up a test block and quilt on that. I have a sample that has scraps fused in several layers.

Robbi Eklow

If the web is too thick or it does seem to gum up your needle you can use a little "Sewer's Aid". I put some on the needle each time this happens.

If you don't know what this is, its a Silicone lube, that can be bought at either at fabric store or even WalMart carries it, (hangs next to Fray Check, also made by Dritz). You can either run a bead down the needle with the tip or you can apply it with your finger tips, which ever works best for you. It can be used many times during a project, it doesn't hurt your machine or the fabric.

Good luck and happy sewing.

Funny that this topic should come up now.... I have a wallhanging on the frame - the whole thing is fused:(!! - and all the fabric that was used is Batik's:(:( Broke at least 10 needles - 4.0. Finally called Connie and asked about using 4.5's - orderd 20 and will give these a try.

I don't have problems with gumming up - it is like quilting through cardboard which is why I thought the needles kept on breaking. When I quilt on the "pieced" border the stitches and tension is perfect. I finally basted the quilt off and unzipped it off the frame. Because of the many broken needles I had to clean and sand the hook.

Just something to think about....

Archived