Sweet Potato Souffle

At the Moxie Meeting we were talking about favorite dishes - this is a favorite in my house & very easy to make. Even my son who does not like sweet potatoes or yams loves this dish and actually makes it at his house.

Sweet Potato Casserole

Meg Marshall

Prep. Time: 20 minutes. Baking time: 20 – 25 minutes at 350°

Potatoes:

• 2 beaten eggs

• ½ cup granulated sugar (I normally use ¼ cup brown sugar and ¼ cup granulated sugar) – I actually add more sugar than this depending on how sweet the potatoes are. They vary with each batch I buy.

• ¼ cup butter – melted and slightly cooled

• 1 tsp. vanilla

• 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (about 3 lbs.). I used 5 medium potatoes – baked them and then squeezed the potato out of the skins. Also, I use yams because of the orange color.

• ½ cup raisins – optional. (I do not use the raisins)

• spices to taste: allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

In a large metal mixing bowl, stir together eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla. Add cooked potatoes. Mix with electric mixer, adding spices to taste. I mix heavily to get as much air into mixture as possible. Stir in raisins if you want. Spread evenly into ungreased 2-quart square or oval baking dish. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 350°.

Topping:

• I put mini marshmallows on top the last few minutes of baking and then broil so the marshmallows brown nicely.

The more traditional topping is:

• ½ cup packed brown sugar

• ¼ cup all purpose flour

• 2 Tbsp cold butter

• ½ cup chopped pecans

In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes at 350°.

Archived