Backlash spin - Help!

I'm having a terrible time with bobbin backlash spin.......it stitches fine while I'm quilting but when I stop, the bobbin does not. Creates a mess in the bobbin, jams up the needle up/down and breaks the bobbin thread when I begin to stitch again......:(

This is a brand spankin new machine, new bobbins, new bobbin case - just delivered last week!

I've been quilting for 4 years, so I'm not a new quilter - just never had this problem before.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Feeling oh so sad,

Sherri Dolly

Millennium

I have had that happen also

Deloa jones said.. that some times its the bobbin even tho its new.. its thinner that it should be.. and just try a new bobbin.. (I found one box I bought had a lot of odd sized ones.. or at least my UltimateII thought they were odd sized.. :mad: those L sized bobbins fit into a lot of the new reg sewing machines.. so I just save my off ones for that purpose.

But will be watching for others comments..

Hi Sherri,

Also take a look at that backlash spring that is on the inside of your bobbin case. There are two little tabs that stick up. If those are laying flat you might need to take a tiny screwdriver and gently pry those tabs up so they are coming in contact with the bobbin. This will create some drag against the bobbin and make it stop spinning when the machine stops. If that doesn't work and you don't have another bobbin case to use, remove that spring and make yourself a little donut out of felt that will lay on the inside of the bobbin case inplace of the spring. This will create drag on the bobbin just like the spring and keep it from spinning.

Good luck!

Mark APQS

Sherri: Here's another idea that has worked for other folks with the same type of issues: take one side off of one of your cardboard prewound bobbins and just set that cardboard piece in your bobbin case before you put in your bobbin. They say that helps tremendously because it gives just enough added friction to slow things down properly. That would be a nice, easy fix! Give it a try.

Hi Serry, my post last night was lost somewhere in cyberspace. I'd forgotten you were getting a mille. If pulling out those little prongs on the backlash spring doesn't work. Call John and get a new bobbin case. I had the same problem and a replacement bobbin case fixed the problem. Both Janet and John are aware that it worked for me. Drove me crazy for several weeks until John suggested trying another case. Haven't had a problem since. jeri

PS. I heard a horror story about using cardboard like Carla suggested. The friction started a fire. I don't believe it was in an APQS machine so Carla probably hasn't heard that story, but scared me away from using that idea.

Thanks everyone, for all the helpful hints!

I tried all sorts of things with that bobbin case - finally gave up and replaced it with a new one.

Problem solved - so far anyway!

Have no idea why the original one wouldn't work - no visible difference, but something wasn't quite right with it.

I'll return the original one to APQS for warranty replacement and hopefully that will be the end of that....!!:P

Thanks again!

Sad no more,

Sherri Dolly

Overland Park, KS

Hi Sherri and All!

I wanted to tell all of you, Sorry if anyone has e-mailed me or service at apqs, my computor died first thing Monday and we just got it back....

So, I haven't been ignoring anyone, chances are I didn't get your e-mail!!

But I am back in business now!!!

Sherri,

Absolutely, send us back that bobbin case and we will replace it! Many times there is no physical damage and we really don't know why the won't work.

Have a Good Day All!!!!

Connie

APQS Service

• 3 weeks later...

Connie, I have been thinking about this backlash spin problem, I'm having some with this quilt using 50 wt thread in the bobbin. I picked up a bobbin out of my magnetic bobbin holder ----mmmmm would the magnet have an effect on the bobbin behavior?

Jeri

Jeri,

The weight of the thread really shouldn't matter. Also, if anything I would tend to think that the magnetic holder would create drag and that would help..

Be sure to clean the bobbin case out with air and get all the lint out.. also try gently pulling up the tabs..

Let me know if you still have troubles.

Connie

Thanks Connie, just a thought about the magnet. I'm still having intermittant problems though not as often as before replacing the bobbin holder and I believe Sherri Dolly is also. We've both replaced bobbin holders, backlash springs, bobbins, cleaned, oiled, WD40'd it to death etc. etc. I usually use Aurifil though the problem began with Signature (rarely use it) . Today I'm using 40wt YLI machine quilting cotton in both the top and bottom and it's happening once or twice per bobbin. I know it's not a thread specific problem but it does seem to happen more with a lighter weight thread. jeri

Jeri,

I haven't totally eliminated my backspin problem, but I have found something that usually fixes it.....albiet temporarily.

When it first happens, I pull out the bobbin case, remove the bobbin and take a teeny screwdriver and re-lift those little prongs on the backlash spring. It seems to create enough drag to keep the bobbin from backspinning for a while.

I've taken to doing this with every bobbin change now - sometimes I can get through the whole bobbin without an incident and sometimes not.

It takes just an extra second or two...but I don't know what else to do. Beats having to unjam the needle and bobbin case every time, I guess.

If you happen across something that really works, please pass it on.

Thanks,

Sherri D.

Kansas

Hi Sherri

Me again.....slightly spreading the prongs inside the bobbin case works for me but try adding a small circle of gum wrapper paper cut to the inside of the backlash spring, placing it under the backlash spring. You may also want to try another backlash spring. Make sure that you insert it back inside the bobbin case correctly. (grimace)

Thanks, I'll try both ideas when I get back from a week's vacation. Have a quilt loaded ready to takle my first day back but no more quilting for me until then.

We have the grand-kids Friday and the week-end and we leave early Monday.

Jeri

Sherry

Thanks for that gum wrapper paper idea! I never thought of putting anything behind the backlash spring - but that slight thickness might be just enough to take up the slack.

I'll try it!

Thanks again!

Sherri Dolly

AP Mil

Kansas

Archived