Changes to website

Taking the advice of Judy, Joann, and some of the others, I have made some changes to my website. It is definitely not finished, but I have devoted all day to it and I am aggravated right now.

I still need to think about the pricing because around here people charge by the quilt, not the square inch. I will have to figure out what per sq. inch price matches most closely with my current prices, which are typical for this area.

I will go back tomorrow and work on it some more. Right now I'm going to go quilt something (Ahh, RELAXATION).

Please everybody take a look and let me know what you think. I want honest opinions please. Please email if you don't want to post on the forum. (I need to check the email link also).

Thanks,

Teresa

Chicken Scratch Quilting

Hi Teresa,

I am new at this and no expert but looking at your charges and I understand you will do a meander pattern on a KING for a set PRICE of $65.00.

(Assuming I have my batting and backing already) Am I right on this?

Example for affordable quilting from what I have seen from most even BEGINNERS.

100 x 100 = 10,000 sq inches x .015 = $150.00

This is a well spaced or large meander and as you know doesn't take that long to quilt.

I have looked at alot of websites for other quilters and have found only a HAND full that charge by foot or sq foot. Most do it by the sq inch. It is easy math for the customer and simple for the quilter as well.

Rather than commit to a dollar amount do some SAMPLES for sizes and prices for that size in more than one Catagory to give the customers an idea of what they get for their money. Try not to worry about how your competition does it. Forget about them. Think about yourself here.

Look at alot of other websites and you'll get a good feeling. Look at the websites as though you are looking for a quilter and ask what would you be looking for. A good quilter or a cheap quilter. This will help you in getting your site the way you want it to be.

I sell novelty childrens quilts and get more for it than you do for quilting the king. If that doesn't seem fair well it isn't. That is half ( or more) than you should be getting for good work. I have seen some quilters quilting for 1cent a sq inch withing 100 miles of my area and I have also seen the quilting. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

As far as your website, When I open your link I am wanting to see QUILTS. Your entry page should be about QUILTING. I think is fine to have a personal link to share your family and those wonderful prize chickens but Quilting should be priority if its to draw in new business.

I could be wrong but I would move before I lowered my PRICES to compete with Cheap quilters in my area and that's the truth. You want customers who care about quality because they don't mind paying for it nor do their friends and family that live in other parts of the country. Quality customers bring in quality customers in most cases that I have experienced.

I'm not saying cheaper prices automatically means bad quiltiing but if you are really good and you do it for Pennies all Quilters suffer but mostly the one selling themselves short.

That's my take. Keep working on that website and practice saying "I'm worth it, I'm worth it, I'm worth it"

We are all rooting for you.

Thanks Tammie,

I will do some figuring and try to change my prices to sq. inch. That will be my next step.

As far as the personal information, I added it after a couple of others prompted me to.

I have taken the chickens off the website, they will now have their own personal website (better for chicken and egg sales). That will become my husband's sole department. I am really going to concentrate on my quilting. I will still have to list his auctions and update his website, but that is it for me. I have to get my own business prospering.

Thanks for taking the time to look. And thanks for the advice.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Teresa,

I like the changes you made so far to your website!! Now you have the idea ;)

The only thing that I would change so far would be to remove the last paragraph on your "about me" page, the one that says you are a part time quilter etc.. this info may scare potential customers away because they may think that their quilt will take a long time to be finished or that it won't get your full attention when it's with you. I would not mention I was part time unless they asked.

I also like the marque you have on your site as well...great way to post news, a promotion or whatever. :cool:

I do agree with Tammie about the pricing though, don't under sell yourself too much this too can scare a potential customer away. I recently did a king sz quilt 115 X 102 basic all over meandering (customer provided batting and backing)

and I charged 115 X 102 X .015 = $176.72 (I charge 1 1/2 cents per square inch for my basic all over edge to edge meandering or pantogragh).

I would do some research not just for your local area but for your whole state as far as what others are charging for quilting and go with that...but yes charging by the sq inch is mostly the norm country wide and since you are trying to reach beyond your local area maybe even beyond your state go with the norm.

Joann

More website changes. Please see what you think.

Linda, Joann, Tammie,

I redid the pricing to reflect per sq. in.

The prices aren't that far from where they were really.

Thanks for the advice.

I don't know what I'd do without you guys. You're the greatest.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Wow your website is looking great. I think your changes are great improvements. I haven't set up my site yet but this motivates me for sure.

Teresa great job on your site. I think it is going to pay off big time. Be patient. I think is looks so much better.

Congratulations!!

Tersa,

Looks great. I'm glad to see you revised the price for your

time, your machine and your talent. I think most of us have

fun quilting but we should still value our time.

I also like the changes on the fonts, much easier on the eye.

Is that supposed to be a photo on your About me page?

I also like the Prep page. Great idea.

Best of luck on your new business.

Archived