Help!!

Phyllis

I am frogging for the second time and am about at my wits end. I currently have a quilt loaded that has a purple border with a white backing. My question is , does anybody ever run the same color thread on both top and bottom even though the thread would be purple on the bottom! I've been trying to use white on the bottom with the purple on top and I keep getting "pokies" and to me this is just not acceptable. The rest of the quilt will have white thread on both the top and bottom. Is it going to look horrid to have the border part with the purple thread on the bottom with the white backing?

I definitely need some imput here and will greatly appreciate all that I get.

Thanking you in advance, I am...

Hi Phyllis,

I always match my thread top & bottom. I guess I should rephrase that! I match my bobbin thread to my top thread (or within a shade or 2), no matter what color the backing fabric. That way I can avoid those pokies. I tried in the past to match the thread color to the backing fabric and it just wasn't worth it.

I tell all of my customers up front that I match the thread color and they say that is fine, "it is just the back anyway" ;)

On a custom quilt, I have had multiple thread colors on the backing fabric.

Just my opinion, I'm sure you'll receive lots of other opinions.

Patty

I've adjusted about everything that can be adjusted, cleaned, done just about all that can be done short of taking a ball bat to the machine. I think that alot of my trouble is the batting....it feels kinda like a scouring pad but the customer wants it used. Will it look o.k. to use the purple thread in the bobbin on the white backing? I've never done this but this is the only thing that I can think to do. :( Karen McTavish says that it takes a brave (or stupid?) soul to run different colored threads in the top and bobbin. I just need some input on this matter.

Archived