How to put new canvas leaders on?

CarrieS

I think that once you take your old leaders off, it will be obvious. I took one leader off - don't use because I float. On my bar there is a straight line inset on the bar. They used some heavy duty glue to put the leader on which was a pain to get off. I think if I put it back on I would use double sided carpet tape between roller and leader and then cover edge with duct tape.

Mercedes,

Are you asking about once you start using them? If so I use zippers so after each quilt I zip the bottom leader to the take-up leader and roll all onto the take-up and then back onto the back roller. If it is wonky I just stretch it back into shape. I repeat this with my upper leader.

If you don't have zippers you can pin the leaders together and do the same thing.

If your leaders are out of square then you need to square them up. First you need to pin them together. Then roll back and forth as I described above. I would do this several times until I have them completely smooth on the bars. About 1" from the edge (where they are pinned together) engage our channel locks and stitch. Do this on both leaders. Next unpin them and fold back on the sewn line. Stitch in place. Repeat this for the upper leader. Your leaders should now be square. I did this and was only off by 1/4" but honestly it made a big difference!

Archived