Charging for binding

Alice;

I only advertise at the Quilter's Oasis, they are located in the Bashas shopping center on Baseline & Crismon. I was just there today picking up a couple of shop samples that will hang in the shop for the shop hop starting next Friday.

Kathy Reynolds is the owner and is really great. She opened the shop the same year I started my business. Anyone can advertise there just leave a stack of your card/brochures, introduce yourself, bring in something you did to show what you can do etc...

Between them and word of mouth (esp. with the snow bird communities) I have done pretty well. My turn around time is based mostly on how many quilts I want to get done in any given week based on life responsibilities (I am still raising kids I have 4 still at home and 1 in college) which could be anywhere between 3-10 per week. I don't do custom my customers are strictly pantograghs and I have gotten pretty good at getting them done quickly. Besides there are plenty that only do custom in the area and there is a few that have computerized machines so if someone wants those services there are several to choose from.

I have a 12ft table and over the years have had to turn away a few quilts because they were too wide for my table...what size table do you have? if you have a 14ft table make sure you advertise/tell the quilt shop in case they get someone asking for a longarmer with a larger table.

Have you started advertising? if so where? and how? I have tri-fold brochures, business cards, & flyers and coupons that I use when I am running specials. Also do you have a website? if not a website then you should at least post your pics of quilts you have finished on webshots or flicker and put the webaddress on your business cards so people can see the work that you have done.

I thought I was cheap! :D I charge .22 a linear inch and they don't care for that. But, that is my price and some will pay and some won't........that is the way it is. I sew them on the front with my DSM and hand sew them on the back. That is the ONLY way I do it. To me it looks the best and cleanest.

Like Joann I will not fold the backing over the edge for a binding. I let them know how most people do binding now and that a regular binding will cover quilting starts and stops in the seam allowance. I've only had one person in 6 years request the top be centered so she could do it herself.

There is a fast and easy technique that I use to machine bind to both sides of a quilt. The instructions are at www.quilterstouch.com, in a booklet called "Sew Precise Sew Fast

Machine Binding" by Suzanne Hyland. I believe the booklet was around $10.

I first apply it to the top of the quilt while still on the frame and then finish it on my DSM.

It's easy and very professional looking with a corded edge. You don't see the stitching on the top (SID). I currently charge 20 cents a linear inch and no complaints.

Anne

I wouldn't turn the back over for the binding either. I did that years ago when I first started quilting and it does not wear well and look like an inexperienced quilter did it. I have sewed binding on the front with my longarm and was surprised that it went well. I know a person could get good at it. I worried about the squareness of the quilt when I did it.

I need to persue advertising in some way. I am tired today so can't think about it. I worked a flu clinic on Friday, worked a nine hr day and gave 136 flu shots. Yesterdat and today I had a busy weekend. I will post more later. Alice

I totally agree but the customer was very adamant that is the way she wanted it done. I tried and tried to explain to her the reasons why and how it would look and she didn't care so I will follow her wishes. I also sent her to the quilt shop to get a wide backing fabric and told her to make it white or even muslin and what does she come back with, a navy blue. this is for a bear paw quilt her 80+ mom pieced for her son for his wedding, it is a nightmare. she doesn't want any fancy quilting and fell in love with my CL swirls so that is what it will be quilted with. I am not looking forward to this job. thank goodness I have a few before her.

Archived