Pantho Designs for beginners - Advice Please !!!

Can anyone make suggestions of their favorite pantho designs particularly those that are good for beginners? I am embarrassed to say that I have owned my Little Liberty (Lola) for over two years and am finally getting the chance to venture beyond stippling and simple loop da loop variations. (Had to move with the hubby from NY to Shanghai to find the time, but that is another story...) I guess my question has two parts.

1)What Panthos designs (and designers) should I be looking at as a beginner and...

2) Where can I order them from? (My friend call mail them to me from the US but if they do International shipping reasonably that would be good to know too)

Thanks for your time and input:D

Hello in Shanghai!

Some patterns I like are: Fleurs, Colorado Trail, and Tropical Expressions. These are all 10" wide so they are great for the Liberty. And they are not too complex. Plus they look great. Go to www.patternman.com to check them out.

Oh, would love to hear how you and your Lola came to live in Shanghai!

Carol

Here are some links for companies that I order from. I love Urban Elemenzt designs and I don't find them too hard to stitch, although they are more dense than some of the others. Jodi Beamish has some great easy designs. The more open the design is the easier it will probably be to stitch.

http://www.quiltscomplete.com/Departments/Pantograph.aspx?sortorder=2&page=10 & http://kmquiltingsupply.com/Patterns/JodiBeamish.asp & http://www.urbanelementz.com/shop/category/continuous-line/

When you look for panto designs to start with -- think loose, open and flowing. Don't start with a tight design that has sharp corners or stitch lines that are close together like echo quilting.

Think clouds, popcorn, swirls, daisy flowers, leaves on a vine. And you don't need a printed panto to try those.

vg

Hi Carol, to answer your question, DH got the opportunity to work in Shanghai for 3 years. Since the company was offering to pay to ship all our goods, we moved the furniture and of Course I would not come without Lola and my sewing room. It took nearly a year to get settled and get her up and running. Imagine, different voltage, new circuit boards, fuses... Anyway, I nearly had a fit but now she seems to be working and I now am trying to be more committed to learning new things on her. Hubby is a scientist and we have one year under our belt in Shanghai and 2 to go. I am trying to stay home more to play and quilt, but there is so much to see and do here. I also have a ten year old daughter to add to the mix. Anyway, that is the short version of how I am here. I am enjoying reading all the posts and instead of just reading I am now taking a bigger step and chatting. Thanks for asking.

I also have loved "Frisky Feathers" - comes in 2 sizes - I like the smaller size. "Splash" is another good one that comes in 2 sizes and looks good on lots of quilts. One thing I was told in the beginning - look for nice flowing patterns that look great even when the lines are followed exactly. Also, no long, long lines such as some of the flame patterns - long lines will show the wobbles. I still have problems with some of those, but getting better!

Enjoy your stay in Shanghai - have been there and loved it. My DH goes at least once a year and is awed by the constant changes!!

Archived