Wierd Stitching PRoblem

Last night I was working on a customer quilt using a panto. The first pass went smoothly with no problems with stitching, etc. The second pass, not so much :( I always check everything before I advance the quilt and noticed in three places that there was a space between stitching...in some cases, at least an inch or more. The funny thing is, the machine kept going so it isn't like the usual thread breakage...it was like I had stopped, moved to another section with tying off and started again. The bobbin thread was still intact from one section to another, again looking like I had just moved the machine to another section without tying off. I looked at the bobbin (one of the aluminum ones that came with the machine and the thread looks uneven, so I will rewind another bobbin but I am thinking the problem isn't with the bobbin...anyway, any suggestions would be helpful. Marion in TX:(

Marion,

On the second row, were you by chance quilting it by moving from left to right?

Skipped stitches can be caused when moving in that direction, since the needle gets pulled away from the hook. Skipped stitches can be "mechanical"--needle and hook don't meet at the right time or there's a gap between them, or a burr on the hook-- or "electrical"--stitch regulator encoder wheels are slipping.

One way to tell is to check under the thread where it skipped. If there are needle holes, the machine tried to form a stitch but something prevented it--timing or burr--but if no needle holes exist then it didn't "fire" the needle in those intervals and the encoder(s) are not working properly.

Hi Marion (so nice to meet you last month!)

If the top thread is breaking and then as if by magic--rethreading itself and stitching some more--the thread is breaking below the needle plate and it starts to stitch again when the hooks catches it.

Check for a burr on the hole in your needle plate and then look for a burr on your hook. Good luck--I searched for days for a solution when this happened to me.:)

Gosh I hate it when my "day" job gets in the way of my quilting :) When I get home today, I am going to re-thread and check for holes in the quilt AND then check for burrs...I am so glad that I wrote about my problem so that I can start trying to fix it. Since this is a customer's quilt, I need to "get 'er done" in an expedient way, so I will be trying all the possible "fixes". Thanks SOOOO much! Marion (Hi, Linda...you need to bring the Moxies to San Antonio for a meeting...I will host)

Archived