Hook assembly problem

I went to use my machine today and it made a bad noise. I oiled everything but no change. When I look inside the hook assembly and set the speed to where the noise is worst I can see the dark grey part is moving with respect to the rest of the hook assembly. Is there something I can tighten to stop this motion? I've just been bought new templates and stencils for my birthday and I would love to play with them but I don't want to use the machine until I have resolved this problem.

Hope someone it arround at the weekends

Ferret

I've realised that this error could be mistaken for the Hook retaining finger not being set properly, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The finger is in the notch but the bobbin basket is kinda shimmying. it has a back and forth element to the movement. I'd love to be able to show you all maybe I can post a video or something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ferret

the finger seems to be in place, I have just gone and had another look at it. Sadly the mor I look the worse it looks, I'm not sure that the hook assembly is rotating true either :( On the bright side I have an appointment to take it to be looked at this coming Friday, so at worts I can get it diagnosed then.

Thanks for the reply though it is noce to know someone heard my plea.

Ferret

Hi Ferret

The black housing in the chrome hook assembly needs to be able to move a little side to side and a little back to front. The amount it moves back to front is determined by the position of the hook retaining finger. As far as I can tell from what you have written you can be sure there is nothing wrong in this area.

Can you describe the noise a little more? High pitched, grating, clacky (sorry - noises are hard to describe) etc. Are you sure its coming from the hook assembly area - sometimes its hard as noise can travel.

Was the machine working well when you last used it?

What speed is the machine running at when the noise is worse?

Does the noise decrease after that point?

Have you given it a really good clean and oil lately?

Have you taken the side cover (opposite to the thread control) off in the last 3 months and cleaned and oiled in there and checked for thread?

Let us know as much as you can and we'll try to help.

Sue in Australia

Hi Sue,

The noise sounds like something mechanical loose and rattling on something else. so kinda clacky. It is definately related to the speed of the machine. I'd put money on the noise being in the bottom of the machine, I could't say definately from the hook area.

The machine was working fine the day before, but the machine works about 50% of the time sometimes when I turn it on it is great sometimes I can't get a stitch out of it.

A little slower than exactly mid speed seems to be the worst place for the noise. It decreases somewhat if the speed goes up or down, but has a point at very slow where it gets worse again.

Yes I cleaned and oiled it again as soon as I heard the noise, it already seemed clean and the cleaning didn't make any difference. All the wicks were still damp.

Yes i have had the side cover off in the last month and cleaned and oiled in there.

Thanks for the help.

Ferret

If your stitching is fine, it could it be the "gear box" noise. That means there is an air pocket in the gear bos and the gears get really noisy, and the solution is that you need to repack the grease.

It is a grinding type noise.

APQS mails you the grease and you turn your machine over and unscrew the the little panel behaind the hook and pack in more grease. Not hard to do.

That might be it if you haven't had this before.:)

HTH

Hi Ferret

I think from what you've said the noise is normal bobbin hook assembly noise. Sometimes hook assemblies and bobbins are really quiet and become noisier in time, even if you are oiling them well as you are.

You didn't say you had just changed your needle so I am guessing the needle is up as far as it can go and is in straight - if it is hitting the bobbin case it wouldn't sound "clacky" more like a click every now and then but just thought I'd mention that.

I wonder if the noise is the same if you don't have a bobbin case in? I guess you are using the bobbins and bobbin case supplied by APQS.

If the stitch quality is good, I think you can safely play with those new templates you have until you can reach APQS tech support on Monday.

You didn't say which machine you have and I will assume a Millie. One noise that we see quite often is this, the top cover at the rear hitting the shield covering the belt. Put your hand on the cover and see if the noise changes. If this seems to be the problem loosen the six screws holding the cover on and lift the cover up until it is clearing the back and front covers, then tighten the screws. Sometimes someone will lean over the machine and put weight on this cover and push it down until it hits. If it is the gearbox it gradually gets loud and has a distinctive growling noise.

John

Archived