Help CQ PROBLEM

Grammie

Going along with CQ doing Swirls Galore and out of the blue it starts going in the wrong direction and circles are wobbly. Lee adjusted the CQ wires at move the machine as they seemed loose but it is doing it again. Back to FROGGING. I hate that part.

What do I do????

I have seen wobbly lines caused by 2 things;

The first time was when the "clamp" was not tightened onto the axis wire tightly enough. It can then slip causing wobbles. If there has been movement for an extended period then the plastic coating could be stripped off the wire and the wire may need replacing. (CLamp tightens onto the wire with a hexagonal screw from under the black block)

The other cause of the wobbles was when thread got caught around the wheel preventing a nice smooth movement. It can be caught around either a normal wheel or caught up in the encoder wheels.

I don't quite understand why the machine would go in the wrong direction though.

Another thing I have seen is when a channel lock accidently gets left on - it certainly made the pattern look as though it quilted out in the wrong direction, as it only inhibited movement, not stopped it.

Are the screws that attach the compuquilter tight, if they come loose they may give the impression of wobbles?

Don't know if I've been any help - but it doesn't hurt to share observations (and in the case of the channel lock - stupid mistakes)

Cherie in Australia

driving a 'Thoroughly modern millie"

ie millie with Version 3 CQ!!!

Grammie,

I just remembered another thing which gave my curves the wobbles on CQ. I have done about 150 quilts since it was installed, and during that time the black pulley wheel attached to the motor loosened - it meant that the wheel (you know the 4' black one that has all the wire winding around it) joggled around on the shaft. After I tightened it all was well again. It just needs a hexagonal driver to tighten. For the x-axis you have to get under and look up, and for the y-axis you look at it from the front of the machine with the wheel at eye level. Turn the wheel till a little slot comes into view, and you will see the screw through this. It is something that I now keep an eye on as a maintainence thing.

Of course as others have suggested if it is software related than Stan and Dee Dee need to know.

Let us know how you get on.

Cherie in Australia

Hi Tammie

Did you get it fixed?

All that Cherie said was spot on - just one small thing though. If the clamp on the wire has been moving sideways a little and roughened up the plastic you can just loosen the allan key screw in the chrome plate that holds the wire tightand slide the tension block along and inch or so and retighten rather than replacing the wire.

You should be able to hold the tension block that the wire is clamped to and pull the wire away from the tension block and the wire should not be able to slip along. Same for both x and y axis.

My guess would be that your x axis pulley was not tightened enough. On the pulley hardware on the right side of the table is a long bolt, a black metal slider held in place by a black allan key nut and a chrome pulley. If the x wire seems very loose, loosen the black allan key nut (in the middle) and wind in the black bolt on the left in as far as you can comfortable tighten it with your fingers and then tighten the black allan key nut next to the chrome pulley - this tightens the x axis wire so the machine can't wobble.

You could also check that your carriage wheels are not too loose allowing the carriage to wobble side to side.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Sue in Australia

I have it working but unclear on what caused the problem. DH adjusted the cables and we recleaned the wheels that we found a hunk of thread in that wasn't visual from under the machine. I did another quilt with no problems.

Thanks for checking on me ladies. I really appreciate you all.

Archived