Thread Breaking

shirleyl

I have tried 4 different kinds of thread, 2 bobbin cases, 3 needles. Checked for nicks and burrs. It is like it skips a stitch, and then shreds the thread. Or it will leave the top loose for 2 to 3 stitches stitch a little farther and then shred the thread. Or it will leave a glob of thread on the top and then shred the thread.

I have gotten the loose stitches stopped by putting batting in the thread carrier above the thread, but I have never had to do this before.

I'm at a loss and frustrated. I have a customer quilt to put on, but wanted to practice for a little while. The only good thing is it is not on a customer quilt.

Any suggestions. I am also getting a more than usual rattling in the bobbin area. I've WD40'd, oiled, blew out and cussed at it. So I'm going to do something else for a while.

Try a new bobbin case.

Your bobbin should almost stand still and then have a slow crawl when you hold it by the thread tail. If it doesn't move it's too tight, if it falls to the ground it way too loose.

Always start with your bobbin tension first. Needle scarf goes to the back. If the thread breaks in your hands it's too weak for a longarm. Cannot use domestic sewing machine thread on longarm. I recommend So Fine by superior top and bottom.

Call me if you need more help.

JoAnn

605-574-4885

Okay, I changed the hopping foot height. Readjusted the bobbin, rethreaded the machine, checked the encoder wheels. Looked at the timing, adjusted the needle to 6:30 from 6:35 and chewed it out. Loosened the top tension all the way up, and adjusted in little increments and now it must be scared it is working okay. So I will test on some more and make sure it is fixed. I had been using Lava, Rainbows and then switched to bottom line both top and bottom. All thread I have used before except for a new cone of Lava. Maybe Milli was throwing a temper tantrum.

Of course all of this started after a good cleaning, so maybe she likes to be dirty, and just blown out.

I give in. I don't know why she works now the only major adjustment I made was the hopping foot and it was 2 business cards high, now it is one. I will try it but the customer quilt I have to put on is known for thick seams. So we will see.

Thanks for your help Joann.

Archived