How much to charge????

Back to my subject of stops and starts. This was a quilt that cost the customer nearly $100. I gave her check back and told her we will discuss w/I complete the areas of concern. What should I charge her? Should I give her a discount and if I do will she most likely expect it again (if there is again). See I do takes these things personally>

Definitely DO NOT give her a discount. You did nothing wrong. If she's had quilts done professionally before, then she should have known to discuss the stops and starts with you. If she has not, then I would charge her full price for the quilt, fix this one for free and advise her that in the future, she will be charged extra if she wants stops/starts knotted and burried.

Off my soapbox now.....

Giving the check back showed good-faith and good customer service on your part. WHEN the quilt is "fixed" (even though it wasn't actually broken!) the charge should not be discounted. The only inconvenience to her is the extra bit of time she must wait. Same job, same price.

Now---if you want to cut this customer loose (doesn't that sound horrible?;)) go ahead and give her 10% off and "The Talk". Gently explain some of the inevitabilities and limitations inherent in the process of longarm quilting. Show her you are a professional and care about your customers and are proud of your abilities. Then let her know you will be thrilled to quilt again for her, but perhaps you two aren't a good fit. This tells her you aren't a push-over, that she got a good deal when you took her quilt back to "fix", and let her decide if she wants to continue your professional relationship. Some devious people will target a newer quilter and squeeze every cent they can through complaints and whining. Do not give her the quilt back without payment.

Archived