Matt - Manquilter

meg

Hi Matt -

You don't know me, but I just love, love, love those lights that Sylvias hubby built her. Any chance you would give me a hint as to what month on your blog the instructions were posted???

Lola-baby is in the basemant and the lighting down there is not stellar. If I could make something like that for under $100 - well, I might be about as happy as I can be.

Hoping you will help out.

Meg ;)

I have saved it in my favorites and plan to hit HomeDepot VERY SOON!!

Thanks Sheri for the internet direction and

Thanks Matt & Dad for the lighting directions!!!

YIPPEE!!

5 new QZ tracing templates and good lighting - an embarrassme nt of riches!!!!!!!

Maybe I will get a quilt on Lola-baby after all!

Hi Meg I am really glad you like my lights. Mike used 2" schedule 40 PVC conduit pipe. Matt heated his pipe and bent it. we didn't do that. Mike bought the curves pipe (Elbows) that is the same size as the pipe. we slid the curved pieces into the long poles that make the legs on each end and just glued it with joint pipe compound. Basically it is an upside down U the length of the Lenni table. Mike cut it close so he could drill holes in the pipe at the height of the table and used black zip ties to tie it to the table so there is no wiggle room. The long legs on each end have a T pipe at the bottom and there he added about a foot of pipe on each side of the T in the same pipe as the legs to form feet and he capped each end so I wouldn't get spiders or some other critter in there. After the pipes were constructed and made sure to be level, he drilled holes through the upper pipe and put on eye=hoot screws to hold the lights. We bought the 4' lights with natural bulbs (sold separately). He used S hooks to put through the chains on the lights so they'd hang straight. we took the cords and ran them along the top of the pipe (we could have hidden them inside the pipes but we were afraid it would weaken the pipes by adding a grove)/ He zip tied the cords above the pipes and ran them down the back side of the leg against the wall. We plugged them in and WOW what a difference. Your husband can measure for the lengths of pipe to buy (that's what Mike did) and remember to buy black spray paint to make it look good. Does this help? PS He said the thought the pipe came in 10' sections and he bought 3. We decided on the height by putting it at 7 1/2 feet under the ceiling fan.

3 - 10' pieces of pipe

2 - elbows

2 - Ts

4 - end caps

4 - eye bolts

4 - s hooks

pipe glue

black paint

2 - 4' lights

4 - natural lights

Serge protector to turn it on and off

Archived