Any quilting teachers out there?

I have a small group of ladies who want me to help them make some small projects. They have them picked out...a tote bag, table runner, things like that. There are 4 of them, we'd do one 3 hour class a week, I'm thinking we'd probably need two sessions per project...they are beginners so don't know how much I can depend on them to do on their own...might even be 3 sessions per project. My problem is I have no idea how to charge...by the month or by the project, and then the problem is how much per project/month? Can anybody help me???

Thanks so much...Cindy

Perhaps the best way would be an up-front payment before each class--make one person be treasurer and write one check to you. Insist on all 4 participating. You should figure what your time is worth--if you can make $25 an hour quilting, then charge them $75 for each 3 hour class. Let them do the math!:D Or make it $80 so the division comes out even!

Ask that they commit to each project. It won't work if someone drops out and the other three don't want to pay extra. Maybe only commit yourself to the first project and negotiate the rest. You may not like it or it may not be worth it to you if there is a lot of prep involved. No use spending 3 extra hours preparing class notes and feeling put-upon.

Or--the bright side--how fun to bring others to the joys of fabric/quilting! Plus--potential quilting customers who will always remember that you taught them to piece.

Will this be at your home or a shop? Something else to consider--I would need to spend two days cleaning to make my home ready for students!:o:P

Hi Cindy:

Well good for you! I hope you'll enjoy this experience. My own is not exactly the same but for what it is worth:

I teach private quilting lessons in my studio (one on one) and I charge $35 per hour. One of my students comes for 2 hours on a weekly basis (she's a pretty experienced quilter), two come for 2 hours every other week (one is a complete beginner and the other a talented art quilter who kind of intimidates me) and one dear gal comes for 3 hours every week. She's been coming for almost 4 years now and I keep teasing her about why she won't 'graduate' but we both enjoy our time together and she has produced some terrific quilts so I guess it works for both of us.

I wouldn't want to take more than one at a time in my studio...where are they proposing your classes are held?

I think I would schedule 3 classes per project and set a price per person for each project. Obviously the fee for a class of three would be less per person than private lessons. Linda has given you some good advice...it WILL take a bunch of prep time for you and you need to anticipate what happens if the group gets smaller. Or bigger.

Please let us know what you decide and how it works out for you! Nancy in Tucson

I was pondering this as again as I was working yesterday.

To make it cost-effective for both instructor and student--how about one three-hour class to get them comfortable with the quarter inch seam/ even-feed foot/ practice piece to start with. You know--just "theory" instead of actual parts of the project. Make them rotary cut accurately and piece accurately--make that strip set and then a four patch and make it come out to the correct measurements.

Within the first two hours they should learn enough to start "real" piecing. Then start them on the project, watching and helping them stitch and measure each pieced part. Send them off with homework--a certain point they should reach before the next class. Then the next and further classes can be less than 3 hours. Perhaps an hour or an hour and a half--strictly to check the homework and answer any questions. Then set them to the next task for the next class with more homework. This will lessen the cost, be less of a time-burden on you, and show you which students are getting it and who needs more help.

Three hours a lesson watching others piece? As my DH says "How's that paint drying for you?" :P

Thanks Linda and Nancy for the input. I had a discussion yesterday with the leader of this group who is a good friend of mine. I've decided we will just have an open sewing class...seems as though they all want to make a tote but I don't even know that for sure so we'll just play it by ear and no prep work for me! She has made the plan and will pay for all 4 of them, (they are all daughters and dil of hers), she suggested $150 per 3 hour session, I think I'll negotiate that a little lower, she has 2 back ups in case some of them drop out and I don't need to provide snacks or clean my house....hmm, not sure if I should be insulted about that house cleaning jab or not!

So for now we'll do this and see how long it lasts...I really don't care. If it seems like they are all really interested I'll try to get something more formal arranged and will implement some of your suggestions, but who knows. I used to teach painting classes in the 90's and I know how it is...lots of enthusiasm until they discover the amount of time, dedication and cash it takes.

Thanks again...Cindy

Archived