Edgerider Wheels

QuiltFaerie

I just got my Edgerider Wheels in the mail today and since I set up my machine, I am attempting to install these also.

My carriage encoder and brake are both on the back left side. Not separated between the left and right back wheels. I ordered the new style channel locks. Did I screw up?

I was sure I had the right ones but the instructions seem to be for a setup different than mine. My machine is a 2005 Millie.

Thanks.

Gail

Gail, with a 2005 Millie, you should have the new style channel locks - and therefore the right EdgeRiders.;)

You should have two encoder boxes: one on the back axle that is attached to your Millie head (right-hand side as you look from the front of the head), and one on the back axle of your carriage (on the same side of the machine as the other encoder box).

The channel lock for the head is on the same axle/same side of the head as the encoder box. The channel lock for the carriage is on the same axle, but on the other end of the axle.

Is that as clear as mud? I really think you have the right wheels, but a digital photo would clarify things, if you think you have a different setup than described above.

Hi Barb,

I think you are right. I was freaking myself out for a moment thinking I had ordered the wrong ones. What was throwing me was when the instructions spoke about the encode and brake and made it sound like the brake was completely on the other side.

I am having a heck of a time trying to detach the encoder axle from the carriage. I keep turning the brass nut and the puppy just isn't moving. Aarrrrghh.

This is when I hate being a girl. When I am just flat out lacking the darn strength to do what I know I can do. Ugh.

Also the instructions tell me I should have two bolts. I am only seeing one.

Remove the whole bar using a socket wrench or flat open end wrench, by removing the two bolts that hold the bar on the bottom of the carriage.

I know I will love these once I get the things on. It is just putting them on that is a pain in my butt.

There are indeed two bolts that hold that axle to the carriage - the heads are underneath and there are no nuts - they screw right into the carriage metal. So be careful when you're putting them back in - don't overtighten.

Hang in there, Gail! Putting on new EdgeRiders is not a task for the faint of heart. And you will indeed love them once you're done mounting them. If you run into impassable circumstances, give me a call - PST (509) 447-3803 - and my DH can give you advice - he mounted two sets for me and has mounted sets for several of my customers. Did you get your wheels from Patty Butcher? She's also a resource for you, since you're in the Eastern time zone.

Okay, so I am actually pulling off the back axle with the two wheels completely off the carriage. Correct? I do see the two screws for that. I just wasn't sure that is what they were really telling me to do.

I actually ordered from Kingsmen Quilting Supply before I realized that Patty was selling them. I live in a cave sometimes. :P

Thank you for offering up your poor husband to talk me through this. I did put my Millie together myself so I am not totally without skills.

Some days, I hate being a wimpy girl. Grrrr. I understand the darn instructions, I really do, I just cannot get some of this nuts and screws to move. I called Uncle and bless their hearts, my girlfriend is going to drag her poor husband over to bail me out.

The poor guy. He has been through this once on Nancy's Gammill now he has to suffer through it again with my Millie.

Thank goodness for good friends!

Archived