Signature Quilts

Hi Chris,

The only signature quilts that I have seen have had either a cream or white cotton fabric as the signature strips, although can't help you on sizing I am afraid !!

Hope you are well. Hows it going with your beautiful house quilt????

:)

The only signature quilt I did was a single Irish chain. The 9-patches finished at 3 inches and therefore, the solid blocks finished at the same size. Since the gal's home was mostly autumn colors I used a light gold fabric for the background fabric, and then lots of earthtones-fall colors for the 9-patch units. The gold was light enough that the writing could be seen quite easily. We used Micron 08 pens so the people could write on the squares without much trouble.

Are you having them sign before construction of the blocks? If so you can iron freezer paper to the backs so its easier to write on. Also you need to mark the 1/4 inch so they don't run words that will be under the seams.

I like the writing areas to be at least 2" x 3" and have several patterns. If you help with pattern names let me know.

I perfer a tighter weaved fabric. The pens glide better and the writing is smoother. I also use a Micro Pen.

Archived