Cube Quilt

I am doing this one next. It will be a gift for a lady who just

lost her husband to cancer. I have been asked to use, variegated thread. The design? My choice, one problem, not sure what to do :(. Have you quilted one like it? Or what would you quilt. Do you think an allover pattern would look good?Lots of open spaces as you can see.

Thanks,

Carmen

2678268400103905125QMVJlL_th.jpg

Personally I would not do e2e. I would see if the husband had anything special he was interested in and see i I could somehow incorparate that into the quilt. Perhaps you could stitch a motif that matched his interstes in the black area. In the cubes I'd do different fills, maybe horizontal and vertical lines, something to keep the geometry of the quilt. I took this class from Jamie Wallen at Camp Mowana and have never gotten back to it. It was fun to piece.

I'd SID everyline in the cubes and leave it at that, I think that would let them sty a little puffier. Then a background fill of some kind, or amybe severl kinds adn let them merge into each other. I like Hiedi's idea of incorporating some thing reminescent of her husband. That would make this a really special quilt!

HI Heidi, Hi Kenna,

I found out yesterday, that the lady's husband was a HS Math teacher and golf enthusiast.

There is lots I can do with that. Now that the two of you have open my mind.

His students are doing the label. You guys are great!!! Thanks.

Carmen

Hi Carmen,

The back ground around the cubes you could do just about anything really, as the cubes are the focus of the quilt. I did a similar quilt, but my cubes are not as three dimensional (view to the inside of the cube)---and straight lines, stitch in the ditch---simple lines worked best for me.

The cubes are so dominant in these types of quilts, I just feel that keeping the quilting low key worked best for me and did not detract from the optical illusion.

post--13461903670087_thumb.jpg

Archived