The Problem WAS us.

RitaR

Hi zoiders, or qzers, As I suspected, the wonky work was caused by him leaning on the bar, or, me leaning against the quilt foot bar. '

Now our work meets start and end perfectly if we don't forget to tighten the stylus bar.

Geesh, I wonder what we will find to do wrong next... LOL, we are bad.. I can't sit and use it though, so mighty glad the back is fixed and the hip is new, so I can now stand when I need to.

Our rollers are not level, the top foot bar and the leveler bar.. himself had to put a shim on the closest end of the qz when its on the machine.

The machine is level as is the table.. so the shim worked quite well. No idea why the bars are not level.. does anyone else have that problem.. This is one of the first batch of tables to come out with the Lenni, back a couple years.

Lets see some picts.. I'll post some soon.

Ritar

Rita,

Glad you got it figured out. You will be able to sit as you get comfortable with it. I position and then sit, especially when doing the cross hatching or templates. The Spirographs go so quick you don't have time to sit! Have fun playing. Just remember these steps:

1. Load up design - spirograph or template

2. Center block/QZ

3. Lock her down & then tighten arm completely

4. Stitch away!

Glad you got things sorted Rita,

Heidi's list of to do's is good advice. I am getting better, but at first I would forget to tighten something and of course my Lenni would sttich all over the place :P

I will post some photos in a couple of days of my playing's with my QZ.

Have Fun !!

Heidi, and Kathy,

thanks for the info and help.... I made a post it list, but broke the list Heidi gave into 5 parts.. I seperated the lock QZ and tighten arm into 2 things, so ended up with a list of 5. Am going to print a big print list and put it in the back of the book for quick reference..

Looking forward to seeing your work, or play, Kath..

Any tips on easily finding the size to fit into a circle or center of something?? Do we just go a size or two smaller than the circle or block?? I've used so much muslin, I hate to keep trying.. maybe I can make one set of circles and try various sizes in it until I find the one I like. I don't like whatever is in the circle, to touch the circles... I like a little space between them so the inside design looks like it is floating.

Ritar

Rita,

Last week I found a template at Hancock fabrics (in Spokane WA) that would work perfectly to find the center of your block assuming it is not too huge of a block. I don't have a camera right now but I will go online to see if I can find a picture of it to show you what it looks like. It is called "Center-to-trim Guide" by Dritz quilting.

Lisa:)

Here is a link to one at a much better price than what I paid!!

http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/086743.html

It will easily work to center a block that is 8 1/2 " you could still use it on larger blocks you would just have to measure the distace from the edges when you place it on the block. Good luck,

I have been using the centring template that came with the QZ to find my centres on smaller blocks. But the best thing I have found to find the centre of large blocks say 12" is Pam Clarks 8 line Stencil, with 8 line stencil having diagonal lines it make it very easy. Plus the stencil is about 14" square in size.

here is the link

http://homestitches.com/stencils1.html

Oh, Lisa! Thank you so much for the info. I wonder if Joanns carry that.. We will be at Joanns in a day or two.

I see I''m going to have to spend a lot of time on that site, to look things over... what I've seen so far isn't quite as costly as a quilt shop.

Before I got the centering stencil from QZ I'd measure the block or space I had to fill and then use 1/2 that on a large square ruler.. for instance, I'd find the center of a 13" squaare by taking a large ruler, dividing 13 " by 2" and then line the 6.5 line on the outside line of the block, at the corner of the block, then mark the point of the square ruler at the center.. double check other corners the same way to make sure it's pretty square.. if not, then I move the center mark to what I think is the center by measuring from the sides, top and bottom.

I can find the center, it is just that I don't know how to quickly and easily go about finding the size circle-wreath for instance, that fits inside say a 7" circle. Leave the arm knobs loose and you get a wonky rectangle. LOL. And a lot of frogging to do. Quite Unique though. :o :mad: :P:P:D;)

Ritar

Hi Rita

I dont know if there is a correct way, but what I do is, let say I have a 10" block, I put my stylus down say in hole no 9 on the QZ base , which will give me a 9"circle, and do a dummy run to see if that is the size I want.

When I use the spirograph upto now I have used the block instructions in the back of the QZ manual to get the sizes.

Hi Kath, I just didn't think, don't know why, or do I ever??? anyway, didn't realize the numbers were inches.. always measured what I wanted and I guess now, chose it from the board.. or the cam info.

maybe I better go get up again. Refuse to ask someone else to help.. ROFLMHO.. I'm bad.

Now I really feel dumb!!

Ritar

No your not Dumb Rita...........there are some morning I think i should go back to be and get up again.

since getting the QZ (which I do love) I have forgot the times I have not tightened up the knobs. I think my main skill is frogging :P:P:P

I will be doing what you said and make a chart of what to do.

Take your time and the main thing is have lots of fun.

Rita,

You can easily find the center almost brainlessly (or at least no math) by marking an X through the quilt block from corner to corner with a ruler but then you have to remove the marks. This template I picked up was so I didn't have to mark the quilt any more than I wanted to. I think I have seen them at JoAnns also. Linda Taylor also sells centering templates for the longarm on her website Linda's Electric Quilters but they are more pricey as they are made out of thick plexiglass. Enjoy the Quiltazoid,

Hi Anna,,, you are so right about posture.. and leaning.. I am not as bad as I once was.. and still do it now and then. Himself just doesn't realize he's even leaning.. Now he is a bit better..

Yup, step back first... deep breath, And exhale!!! shake the muscles out.. LOL then go at it.. Have fun...

and Thank You!

Ritar

Archived