Made thread sampler today

I put in a practice piece today and did a stitch out of each of my brands of thread, trying needle sizes, tension, etc. until I found the right one for each THEN, I wrote it down next to the stitch out that worked the best. I stitched out the name of the thread such as "King Tut", then listed the needle size, tension setting and Stitches per inch. It took some time to go through each brand and weight, but now, HOPEFULLY, this will save me some headaches when I get down to more real quilting. I found a 4.5 needle for the 40wt cottons works best...........4.0 for Rainbow, monopoly, Metro, Fil-Tec Glide and Affinity worked OK, but 3.5 was a neater stitch I think. Now I have my thread sorted according to needle size to use.

I was quilting with a 40 wt. cotton thread and a 4.0 needle and kept getting so much lint built up in the hopping foot area. I switched to the 4.5 needle and there wasn't so much lint. I suppose the thread was rubbing on the smaller needle eye and sluffing off more. ??

:)

I use the Magna Glide bobbins, so it didn't change. For the top, since there are no marks or numbers on the tension dial, I measured the space between the tension disk and the middle of the little knob. On my machine, there is a groove around the middle of the knob, so I used that as a guide.

I guess for regular bobbins or prewounds, you could use a tension guage to check the number for each one and make a note of that as well.

I wish they would put markings and numbers on those thread tension dials or make them like a regular sewing machine where you can just turn a dial to the right number. It's by guess and by gosh with these long arm machines. My HQ was the same way. :(

Hi Linda--you are brilliant!

This is such a great idea for someone with a new machine.

It not only gets you familiar with all the needles/thread/tension/fabric combos but it also gives you muscle-memory practice for the real thing! And the fear-factor is removed. Once you start turning that tension dial and removing and replacing the needle you will have bonded with your new partner. ;)

I was pleased with how my sampler turned out and nice to see the different threads and how they stitched side by side.

I took some advise from the forum and moved my needle screw to the right side and used a longer screwdriver to tighten it. Works much easier that way and I was switching back and forth with needles with no problem.

Also did one more little trick........probably not a new idea, but works for me. I took a small pin cushion and marked it in sections.............3.5, 4.0, 4.5 and put the corresponding machine needle in the proper section. When I just did a small amount of stitchin to test, the needle was still perfectly good, but if I layed in on the table, I had a hard time telling one from the other. This way I could switch back and forth and not get mixed up.

Guest Linda S

Well, look at you go! What a neat idea. I quilt just about everything using a 16 needle. I hate the big holes from the 18s. I have to adjust tension for most threads, but I never mind doing it.

Linda

Linda,

I have done the same pincushion trick except I've done it for my DSM for sewing and embroidery. Works so slick! Guess I'd better get another pincushion going for my Lenni! ;) So far I have only quilted with a 4.0 so haven't had to keep track of different size needles.............but now I'm thinking that it might have been better to use the 3.5 size when using the Superior Poly on my applique/embroidery quilt............I'll have to remember that the next time! :D

Archived