Did dust damage my machine?

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I hung my cord above the machine last night and was not careful to cover everything while I did it. Some drywall dust got on the table, and I dusted it off. I started sewing again, going along swimmingly, when the S/R cut out. I thought -- oh dear, I didn't get all the dust off and the sensors are picking it up and stopping it. I thoroughly cleaned the rails with a soft cloth and alcohol and used a Qtip with alcohol inside the wheels. It worked okay for a few minutes, but now it won't work at all. I looked at the controls at the back of the machine and the stitches per inch/speed guage is stuck all the way over to the fastest it can go. The controls won't operate from the back. Then I noticed that the head case is not totally closed at the top in the back of the machine. Is it possible that dust got in there and did damage? What's going on? I've tried everything I can think of, have watched the training video, and I can't figure it out.

Linda

P.S. I know most of you are up the road in Portland and I am so tempted to call the Shilo. I guess I shouldn't do that though.

Guest Linda S

I tried that too, but nothing seems to work. The machine will not run at all now unless you hold down the blue start button. It's clean as a whistle, unplugged and sitting with me looking sadly at it. I'm going to watch the maintenance video again.

Linda

Guest Linda S

The only other thing I did that I can think of is, I put a dual spool holder on the machine. You don't think I pushed too hard and squished the electrics, do you? I really didn't push very hard and the machine worked for quite awhile after I put it on. I've watched the maintenance video and can't see that dust could have gotten into anything in the back of the machine. I can't figure it out. It's only been up for two weeks! :(

Linda

Linda: I don't think you would have pushed too hard installing the dual spool holder. Whatever it is, you can bet Connie or Mark will solve the problem pronto -- just hate that you have to wait til Monday to get it done.

Guest Linda S

The bummer is that I work during the hours that APQS is open, so I can't be here with the machine to call and find out what to do. Maybe I can take an hour off or something. Maybe I should just get in the car and drive to Portland!! Actually, I guess the Road Show ended yesterday, but that means my rep may be home this afternoon. I'll try giving her a call later today.

CJ- I don't have Intellistitch. I have a Liberty. It has a built in stitch regulator.

Linda

Guest Linda S

I got a call from (name removed) (my sales rep) today, with a fix recommended by Mark He couldn't call, not only because he didn't have my number, but because he was travelling home from the roadshow. I tried the extra cleaning steps -- didn't see any debris in the area, but did it anyway. Still it wouldn't work. Well, I just went up to power everything down for the night -- lights, AC, unplug machine, etc. and it runs great!!! I just couldn't resist the urge to try it one more time. Perhaps it was still a bit too damp from the alcohol swabs earlier in the day? Anyway, as I said before -- GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I'm a happy gal for sure! :D

Let's just hope that little gremlin doesn't come back to visit!

Linda

Guest Linda S

Nope! That post wasn't too soon. She's up, she works, she just rocks! Thank you all for the hints and support, and thanks to Linda and Mark for the steps to make it happen!

Linda

Guest Linda S

I think the problems were caused by the dust -- Note to self: Be sure to cover the machine and table if you are doing any work above it!

Thanks so much Connie. It seems to be working fine, but it's great to know that parts are on the way, just in case I haven't managed to get all the dust out. You folks are just great.

Linda

Archived